DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Don't know where to post this yet, so let's start here.

I have an idea for a specific EV. Completely DIY ground up. And I would be using it to travel around the world. So, it not only has to be road legal, it also must be road legal in any country I visit.
What is your experience with registering them and how do I make sure it is legal worldwide?
Most likely classified as a motorcycle.

·
Registered
425 Posts
good luck to him getting rego here...
australia is notoriously anal about being a nanny state with all the regulations and time wasting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good luck to him getting rego here...
australia is notoriously anal about being a nanny state with all the regulations and time wasting
Here people are talking about how to explore the planet in a vehicle. In many cases, you have to deposit some import money that you get back when you leave the country. The amount is based on the vehicles price. And yes, Australia seems to be a bit of a bigger problem with this.

It seems that as long as the vehicle is bought as road legal from the manufacturer, you don't have to do anything additional there for any country. The question then is, if I register the vehicle in EU and it passes all of the safety etc., will it be ok for other countries. Manufacturers seem to be able to sell their stuff world wide. Some kind of paper that I would be able to show at the border and to police.

Here about EU and UN regulating the stuff.
My hope is, that as long as the vehicle has all of the lights, brakes and any other basic safety features, it should be ok. Of course, some "uneducated" official somewhere could still become a problem. They tend to have acute belief deficits.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Manufacturers seem to be able to sell their stuff world wide.
Yes, but they meet every individual country's regulations, often making substantial changes to accommodate them. Fortunately, taking a vehicle on a trip to a country is not as bad as trying to sell it in that same country.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts