DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been building trikes form old VWs for a while now. VW Trikes, Teardrop Trailers, and Other Toys – trike building, trike plans, three wheel motorcycles, vw trikes, trikes, custom trikes, TRIKERS, Custom VW trike, motorcycle trikes, trike motorcycles, three-wheelers I'm thinking about making an electric trike by narrowing a Ford 8.8 rear end and driving it directly. Vehicle will be less than 1500 lbs (650 kg) including rider and batteries. Going DC to start out. I want to use a smaller motor to save weight. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Just two: use a decently large motor, and pick the axle ratio carefully. With a fixed reduction ratio (of whatever your axle's ring-and-pinion provide) you won't have the option of shifting between a low gear to accelerate from stopped and a higher gear to avoid excessive motor speed at high road speed.

Duncan's Dubious Device uses the same approach of using just the final drive, and is quite light, and he uses just about the largest motor of any project in this forum with a brushed DC motor. Perhaps Duncan will have a suggestion...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Oneof the reasons for choosing the 8.8 rear end is Ford put it in almost every car they made with many different ratios. I'll check out the Dubious Device.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts