DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well during the last Gas Price spike I was riding a M/C getting 55 mpg so it was not as bad of a hit as it will be now so I want to build an EV. I honestly believe that the Big Auto companies are charging way too much for an EV so time to build my own. I have been thinking of building an EV car for a number of years now and the time has come for me to try it. This will most likely be a slow process as I have little extra time and budget right now but I am very patient (took me 4 years to build my last hot rod ) My biggest challenge will be collecting all the parts as installation and assembly will be the fun part for me :)

Goals are to have a commuter I can drive back and forth to work and maybe run to the store with. Thinking of a two seater such as an Del slo or Fiero. Would love a 80 mile range.

* Your skill level with auto mechanics and fabrication
Skilled Fabricator, been stuffing V-8's in Fiero for several years now (yeah they are a fun toy)

* The range you are hoping to get (how many miles/charge)
50 min, would be optimal 80 Miles

* What level of performance you are hoping to get
Standard sub compact type Performance with a 70mph cruising speed, most likely 96 volt system

* How much money you are willing to put into your project
This is where it gets sticky, I want to spend as little as possible. but know that I will cost me more then I plan for. Goal is around $2k

* What parts you've already considered, if any.
Looking at Fiero, DelSol, Metro, CRx for donors. Trying to find an used Motor locally that will suit my needs. Still trying to determine if 8 x 12v or 16 x 6v deep cycle batteries would work best. the nice thing about the metro and the fiero is lack of power steering so one less thing to convert. Also I have owned both and feel very comfortable working on them.

What I am running into is electric motor places not know what I am talking about when I ask for a 96 V DC motor. They give me the impression that they think I am an alien when on the phone.

Also I need to figure out what the Bare minimum is to get it up and running. then worry about heat and what not later :)

Well thank you for reading my ramblings and I hope to be a contributing member in the future.

Joe

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Well during the last Gas Price spike I was riding a M/C getting 55 mpg so it was not as bad of a hit as it will be now so I want to build an EV. I honestly believe that the Big Auto companies are charging way too much for an EV so time to build my own. I have been thinking of building an EV car for a number of years now and the time has come for me to try it. This will most likely be a slow process as I have little extra time and budget right now but I am very patient (took me 4 years to build my last hot rod ) My biggest challenge will be collecting all the parts as installation and assembly will be the fun part for me :)
Great. Welcome Joe.
Goals are to have a commuter I can drive back and forth to work and maybe run to the store with. Thinking of a two seater such as an Del slo or Fiero. Would love a 80 mile range.
80 mile is doable... but not with lead acid.
Skilled Fabricator, been stuffing V-8's in Fiero for several years now (yeah they are a fun toy)
perfect.
Again I think you are headed for lithium.. lead may get you 40 to 50 tops if u can stuff enough in the car....
Standard sub compact type Performance with a 70mph cruising speed, most likely 96 volt system
If you want to cruise at 70 mph, 96 volts isn't going to cut it with a DC motor. You need to be looking at 120 minimum, preferably 144.
This is where it gets sticky, I want to spend as little as possible. but know that I will cost me more then I plan for. Goal is around $2k
Not going to happen. There are folks that have carved out some inexpensive EV's but they were with used batteries and forklift parts typically. Low speed, low range.
Looking at Fiero, DelSol, Metro, CRx for donors. Trying to find an used Motor locally that will suit my needs. Still trying to determine if 8 x 12v or 16 x 6v deep cycle batteries would work best. the nice thing about the metro and the fiero is lack of power steering so one less thing to convert. Also I have owned both and feel very comfortable working on them.
Those are decent donors, the metro has a lot of off-the-shelf kit parts I believe.
What I am running into is electric motor places not know what I am talking about when I ask for a 96 V DC motor. They give me the impression that they think I am an alien when on the phone.
Read the thread on Using a Lift Truck motor and finding a good one. It's long, but very helpful.
Also I need to figure out what the Bare minimum is to get it up and running. then worry about heat and what not later :)

Well thank you for reading my ramblings and I hope to be a contributing member in the future.

Joe
Cheers,
Gary
Edit... PS, look up Paul and Sabrina's motor controller kit to save $

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome to the asylm.
Did you mistype the budget figure, missed the extra zero? :)
Unfortunately, most EVs cost $10k+ when done well.
To really do it cheap, you must first find an abandoned EV project someone has mostly finished, but is unloading cheap, or a completed older one with dead/outdated components. Then source more used parts to get it finished, and then live with the lack of speed and range.

The biggest issue is the batteries, not much can be done here dirt cheap, unless you can figure out how to make lithium batteries in your basement without burning down the neighborhood when trying, or recycle dead lead batteries into new ones without getting lead poisoning..:eek:

Alternatively, you might be able to do a EV Motorcycle much cheaper.
Personally I think MC are death traps, but you already had one, so this might be a good approach.

Hope that helps, not what you want to hear I'm sure!

Joe

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Fieros and Geo Metros are very popular donor vehicles for conversions. I'd stick with the Fiero if you are already very familiar with them, it will save you time and grief letting you focus on the EV part of the game.

For a 80 miles range, you will want at least 20KwH usable battery capacity in the car. If you get 250wh/mile that will give you the 80 mile range. 156V, 160AH battery pack is the minimum size you should be thinking about. That is going to be $10K in batteries alone.

good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fieros and Geo Metros are very popular donor vehicles for conversions. I'd stick with the Fiero if you are already very familiar with them, it will save you time and grief letting you focus on the EV part of the game.
I have owned several of both so I can tear them down with ease. I was thinking metro as with me in it, the weight is 1700lb while the fiero is 2700 with me in it. I know lighter the weight the better :)

ok, well if i cut the speed down to 50 and the range to 40 i think it would be a bit more doable. I guess i will need to be very smart getting parts then :) I am trying to find a used motor someplace first. That will be my biggest thing. Is it just me or have controllers gone up in price over the last 3 or 4 years? I don't recall it being this pricey when I was first thinking about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts