DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after keeping this project under the radar for 3 months, it is time for the unveiling! I will provide more info later, but wanted to share a couple of pics of the Topsail High School MR2 project. We just placed first in the nation for the 6th straight year in the SMARTT Challenge competition and the 1991 MR2 was our newest conversion. Completed on Thursday, competed on Friday....now that is cutting it close!
3350 pounds
13 12 volt FLA Batteries for 156 Volts
ADC 9" motor
Raptor 1200 amp controller

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are a few more pics... We have to use lead acid in our competition and chose to use flooded as opposed to AGM because 99% of the time, this car will be a daily driver and only autocross a couple of times a year. It rides and handles very, very well though. It has D2 coilovers and ST sway bars for suspension mods. We had to go with 7kg front and 9kg rear to compensate for the added weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliments! We really stived to raise the bar with this car at our annual competition. In the range event, we drove 48 miles and still had at least 15 more miles left in her. We stopped because we had alraedy won our class!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not much acid yet....we were not able to get a hard run because the. Coupler has broken welds, or at least that is what I think has happened. We plan on dropping the motor Wednesday and taking a look.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
... the Topsail High School MR2 project.
3350 pounds
13 12 volt FLA Batteries for 156 Volts
ADC 9" motor
Raptor 1200 amp controller
wow.....

There are several High Schools in my area wanting to start a conversion. Do you have any tips on how to score killer donors like this MR2? or funding for the conversion itself? Any particular Grants or outreach programs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They need to start banging on doors and contacting local businesses for sponsorships and donations.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
They need to start banging on doors and contacting local businesses for sponsorships and donations.
hhhmmmm, so is one of the parents a toyota dealer? or what is the story on how you got your mitts on such a new MR2 to use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This paper describes the recent activities of electrical and computer engineering doctoral students in the design, development, and implementation of lessons for high school mathematics and science classes. The graduate students, called fellows, worked in secondary classrooms in the Cincinnati Public Schools District as a part of Project STEP at the University of Cincinnati, which is funded by the National Science Foundation GK-12 Program. The fellows formed partnerships with secondary math and science teachers to generate new lessons, activities, and resources to enhance the STEM skills of high school students. Additionally, the Fellows used their engineering expertise to bring authentic learning experiences into the classroom and introduced concepts in their field of engineering to underserved student populations. This paper discusses observations and reflections by the fellows regarding aspects of the activities that had the most impact on student learning and interest in engineering, which was measured by self-reported student surveys
________________________________________________________________________________________
bad credit mortgage company uk
debt help

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Before....http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/kickngas/IMG_1470.jpg
No handouts here, just a lot of hard work. Picked up the MR2 for $2500 off Craigslist then sold the engine for $400
wow, sweet deal! I was assuming a blown engine for that price, but you just got a great deal!

Did you guys do a documentary build site online? details on racking, components, layout, etc? You squeezed a lot of lead in there, and I bet other would like to see how!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We wanted to do a Blog but we intentionally kept the project top secret so we could surprise our competitors at the final event this year...also, I had told the students that if the car was not ready, we were not going to compete. Didn't want to put it out there and not bring the goods. Our competitors were very, very surprised! We have won the last five years with different vehicles but this one set a new standard.

You can check out some of our conversion pictures here... http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/kickngas/

·
Registered
11 Posts
WOW what a project, this looks amasing, nice job on the car man.

It has D2 coilovers and ST sway bars for suspension mods.
Yer no wonder it still handles well, D2's are like having girders for suspension, I used to have some in my old car.

Do you have any performance figures for this?

Pel

1 - 20 of 39 Posts