DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I vote to keep your driveshaft and mate your Leaf Motor to your existing gearbox. Keeps the car more original, keeps a gear shifter you might enjoy shifting whether you need to shift it much or not.
well, we thought about this but the main support member for the front end axle runs almost in parallel with the drive shaft, and the motors I investigated would interfere with it. Which would require us to either offset the motor, or somehow shorten the drive shaft to move the motor further back into the middle of the car. Given that the leaf gearbox already has a differential, it seemed like maybe less work and a more direct solution to just hook it up to the rear wheels directly... not to mention all the weight we save from the big transmission and the torque tube and drive shaft. That's just our current thinking though.

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Father-son Porsche 924S EV Conversion Part 5

More problems and frustrations with LED flashers and LED blinker bulbs. Let us know if you have any ideas! Also we got our engine bay cleaned and we started rebuilding our front brakes. Charlie wanted to paint them red, so we got them primed with self-etching primer and then painted with Cherry Red color.

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Father-son Porsche 924S EV Conversion Part 6

In part 6 we eventually figure out a method to remove the transaxle from the Porsche. We eventually realized we needed a special "triple-square" bit to separate the axles and were able to get through that challenge. After the transaxle was removed, we completed the front brake rebuild including new rotors and Charlie's pretty red painted calipers. Lastly we showed off some new Nissan Leaf parts that arrived. Oh, and Charlie's new video intro and outro!! Full project playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnMVTS2-3X_C_09iLgKw9IFBuqwSWlXQ3

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Father-son Porsche 924S EV Conversion Part 7 - Nissan Leaf motor spins for the first time!

This was a big milestone for us. We paused on some of the work under the car and started focusing on setting up our bench-top test environment. We had to get a bit creative since we didn't have a battery pack yet, and while we were waiting on parts we tried to 3d print various platforms to mount components to. But the big moment was when everything came together to finally let the Nissan Leaf motor spin for the very first time! Full project playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnMVTS2-3X_C_09iLgKw9IFBuqwSWlXQ3

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Father-son Porsche 924S EV Conversion Part 8 - Thunderstruck/Leaf bench test setup and walkthrough

Some of our previous videos featured the benchtop test setup we are using to try and get components working before mounting them in the car. This video walks through that test setup along with our motivations for why/how we did things. Hopefully it is helpful to someone else.

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Father-son Porsche 924S EV Conversion Part 9 - Mounting Nissan Leaf Gearbox and Releasing Parking Brake

In this video we discuss getting the gearbox from the Nissan Leaf mounted to the motor and our journey to figure out how to release the parking brake/pawl in the gearbox. We managed to finally get the parking pawl to release after 3d printing a few different "wrenches" of sorts to turn the shaft. Right now the plan is to not use the parking brake in the transmission at all and instead just use the hand-brake, but we may revisit this later.

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
A slight side-project we have going - a little ESP32/Arduino display to show CAN bus data using IMgui display framework. Currently uses an ESP32-WROOM-32D and a MCP2515 CAN bus interface module. But, we are having issues with it occasionally resetting or sometimes locking up. I can't tell if it is a problem in one of the libraries I'm using or if it is a power/glitch issue. Anyhow, I'm trying not to focus on it too much since we have bigger fish to fry. But it is still fun to think about and experiment with.

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Um, any chance you'd be willing/able to measure those gearbox-to-engine bolts? Need to order one size longer to mount a brace under the head..
yeah absolutely. do you just want the length? I can take pictures of whatever you like... i've got the part numbers for those two (assuming I found the right ones).

· Registered
159 Posts
Yeah length from underside of the head to the end would be awesome, thank you. From measuring the motor I have figured out that they are M10x1.5 but not sure about length. Guessing about 60mm? Just want to see if I can confirm before going out hunting for more.

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah length from underside of the head to the end would be awesome, thank you. From measuring the motor I have figured out that they are M10x1.5 but not sure about length. Guessing about 60mm? Just want to see if I can confirm before going out hunting for more.
Looks like from the underside of the head to the end is about 65 mm. About 5 mm of that is the unthreaded tip. See pictures below. Also be aware, I think these bolts are aluminum. I'm not sure if there is any concern for dissimilar metals here, but just thought I would let you know. Pictures:

Rectangle Font Tool Auto part Cable

Wood Tool Rectangle Fashion accessory Font

Hope that helps!

· Registered
8,636 Posts
... Also be aware, I think these bolts are aluminum. I'm not sure if there is any concern for dissimilar metals here, but just thought I would let you know. Pictures:

View attachment 134808
It's extremely unlikely that any bolt is aluminum, and those don't appear to be. They're coated.

They're also tension (not shear) bolts, suggesting that alignment depends on dowels or other features of the cases. And they have flanged heads, suggesting that a bolt without the flange would need a washer.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts