DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Introduction & OBC Research

466 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  aolson
Hey all, I have a 2012 Leaf which I’ve upgraded to a 40kwh battery. My next task is to attempt to upgrade the 3.3kw obc to something a bit more powerful, perhaps to 6.6, or even more the better. Looking at some different options including Brusa options which seem to be the most well documented but extremely hard to find the parts. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
You'll be fine upgrading your charger, as long as you ensure that over-temp and over-voltage limits are still adhered to. If you set the output on the second charger to perhaps 3.9 Vpc, that should ensure the OE OBC is solely responsible for the last ~20% of charging.

As you've likely discovered on the Leaf forums, the Brusa charger is one popular upgrade. Best bang for the buck would be a 10 kW gen 2 Tesla charger with the open source controller from Damien Maguire, if you can find space to package it (and requisite cooling loop).

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll be fine upgrading your charger, as long as you ensure that over-temp and over-voltage limits are still adhered to. If you set the output on the second charger to perhaps 3.9 Vpc, that should ensure the OE OBC is solely responsible for the last ~20% of charging.

As you've likely discovered on the Leaf forums, the Brusa charger is one popular upgrade. Best bang for the buck would be a 10 kW gen 2 Tesla charger with the open source controller from Damien Maguire, if you can find space to package it (and requisite cooling loop).
That’s a great solution. Just spent the last few hours watching his videos and reading the wiki about the Tesla obc. Definitely the way I’ll go. I’m thinking it should be quite easily implemented with all the documentation about cooling and such using the brusa parts. Thanks again for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts