DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a 64 Cadillac 75 series Limousine with a bad drive train and would like to explore the possibility / feasibility / viability of making it an EV. The car weighs 2.5 tons as is, with the drive train out possibly less than 2 ton. How many KW will be sufficient to move this badboy ? and what are the available options to buy the required electric motor, controller etc. ? and who are the reliable sellers to buy the components ? Any and all diligent opinions/ suggestions / advise are solicited thankfully in advance. I went thru the forum and did not find a similar conversion. Can someone point me to a similar conversion pls.
Cheers.

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,296 Posts
Hi

As always it depends! - what do you intend to do with it?

One solution - the easiest and cheapest - would be to mount three 11 inch DC forklift motors in the transmission tunnel - direct drive to the diff - that would give plenty of power and the motors are cheap - I'm using one 11 inch Hitachi (not 3) but my car is a lot lighter

Japan? - Well my motor is Hitachi - and you should be able to get hold of Leaf batteries

More sophisticated would be to use Leaf motors - but the problem then is the gear ratio

1 - 2 of 2 Posts