DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be running a hyper 9 and wondering if I should go for shielded 2/0 AWG cable or the cheaper cable without shielding.

Will the unshielded cable cause EMF issues with the 12v system or other components?

The only runs that are using 2/0 are from the batteries and the three phases from the inverter to the motor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll be running a hyper 9 and wondering if I should go for shielded 2/0 AWG cable or the cheaper cable without shielding.

Will the unshielded cable cause EMF issues with the 12v system or other components?

The only runs that are using 2/0 are from the batteries and the three phases from the inverter to the motor.
I actually sorta went through this in a different topic as I tried to work out where to ground shielded cable to. It seem EV oems for the most part use shielded cable to avoid EMF issues, but many home builds do not.

I personally am going to use 2/0 shielded as with my drive unit I got about 20 feet of shielded cable out of the Model S my drive unit came from. My reasoning is that my motor is in the car's rear with batteries up front. So I will have 400V cable running the length of my car.

I think it comes down to OEMs can't release cars full of bugs and issues, but home builders are more accepting of sorting out problems in their project

·
Registered
Electric Sprint Kart
66 Posts
It seems resonable that only the inverter/controller to motor cables need shielding as that is where you are purposly creating various frequencies of RF to drive the motor. The DC cables to the battery just transfer current at nearly static voltage (up/down some due to demand) producing little in the way of RF by comparison.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think that is all you need. Shielded cable from Controller to Motor. And keep the wires short; also means try to keep the distance from motor to controller short.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts