DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep checking in to see if anyone has been able to make conversions a sustainable business... but not seen anything yet supporting the business plan. Has anyone been able to stay busy and make a living at this?

It looks to me that that combining an educational program (to get grant money), with turnkey conversion service, is the only way to keep a space busy enough... and financing is a major roadblock with not a lot of people having $15k in cash up front.

thoughts? comments? anyone making this work?

In my locale, I think it would take a no-rent space to allow enough margin to make a living. Either a grant or a gift space to work...

D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Wayne Alexander has made a good living at conversions for the last few years. Check out his interview with Jack Rickard on one of the newer EVTV episodes.

JACK

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wilderness EV has certainly been doing it for a while. I think they keep pretty busy. Kit/parts distribution in addition to conversions probably helps keep up the margins.
that is kind of what I am wondering... what mix of education (intro or hands-on classes, consulting to external garages, or space and tool sub-letting), resale of components, and turn-key conversion service would be required to keep a garage busy and sustainable.

seems like a big roadblock is the funding as well.... too hard for most to save up $15k in cash, and no banks are going to make loans on this sort of thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts