DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a handle on cost vs return for Lithium batteries.

I'm thinking that I will need 48 cells of Lithium batteries for the 1971 VW Bug that I am working on at a cost of $250.00 per for 200aH battery.

So...that comes out to $12,000. Currently, I'm driving about 300 miles per week; therefore, gas costs me $2600.00 per year.

So...battery pay back time would be between 5 and 6 years.

Five years of cycles would be 1625 times if I charge every night.

Plus I have the addtional cost of power from the grid.

What is the expected number of cycles from a Lithium battery pack and
what is expected time that pack will have be replaced?

Thanks in advance for responses.

You guys and gals are great.

G

·
All depends upon your setup and how you drive. Way too many variables to answer. It is what we call a loaded question and no way to answer.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm trying to get a handle on cost vs return for Lithium batteries.

I'm thinking that I will need 48 cells of Lithium batteries for the 1971 VW Bug that I am working on at a cost of $250.00 per for 200aH battery.

So...that comes out to $12,000. Currently, I'm driving about 300 miles per week; therefore, gas costs me $2600.00 per year.

So...battery pay back time would be between 5 and 6 years.

Five years of cycles would be 1625 times if I charge every night.

Plus I have the addtional cost of power from the grid.

Thanks in advance for responses.

You guys and gals are great.
I may be wrong, (if I am someone please correct me) but I think what they are calling a complete cycle means going from full charge to like 80% (or more) discharge. At 60 miles a day with 200 ah cells in a bug I don't think you will be doing a full cycle every day.

The guys with bugs should be able to help you get a better handle on how much enery you will use each day.

If you are only recharging from, say, a 50% Depth of Discharge each day I believe that counts as only a half cycle.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Well you need to get as big of a pack as you can stand. And I just bought 51 Calb 200Ah cells, keeping one for a spare, for a little over 12K including shipping giving me about 35kw pack. Prices have come down a bit.

High Ah cells also helps keep your DOD down which helps extend cell life it appears.

You want to keep your amp draw down so run as high a voltage as you can. That helps prevent shortening their life due to excessive amp draw. Calb recommends 0.3C continuous which is 66A on the 200Ah cell. My driving should be less on flat ground only exceeding that on hills & acceleration.

I've read LiFePo4 cells should last 5-7 years. I just spent a chunk of change so I hope they will last 10 years with my strategy. Regardless, I'm excited to be able to be able to drive 100 miles per charge. If we get >2000 cycles at that rate, that's 200K miles and I will MORE THAN RECOUP MY MONEY at that rate.

Then you have to factor in that you're not polluting the air for the driver behind you, which I love.

And you have to know that gas will be >$4/gallon in a year or two if the economy continues to improve in the US.

I'm saving about 20cents/mile over diesel, maybe more with the latest prices.

I'm good with my decision!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts