DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have upped my voltage on a miata warp9 conversion. The dc\dc converter was fine at 120vdc input. When I then change it to 154vdc it doesn't output anything. Are there components inside that I can change to allow 154vdc input.
I am more a mechanic than electronics wizard but I can solder.
I really don't want to buy another dc/dc converter.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you about the iota, but I can suggest you affordable remplacement.
The Meanwell power supply RSP 500-12 output over 50A, input 120-370V DC and cost 90$. Used it in my Smart since few years.
There is also RSP 320-12 (50$) and some others choices of power supply accepting DC input.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yes, I've come across lots of PSUs that though nominally designed for AC input, actually pass through a wide range of high-voltage DC inputs just fine.

Just not marketed as "DC-DC converters".

Rectifiers is often used on industrial / telecom gear.

PSUs designed for high end rack servers is another fertile hunting ground, **incredibly** quality, super clean output and very robust.

IBM, HP, Dell, Cisco are pretty demanding customers :cool:

sometimes under $50 delivered from eBay, even NOS

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The meanwell looks great but i might be asking a stupid question.
I don't know about lead acid chemistry. These power supplies will charge the 12v lead acid battery from the main pack. Does the supply need to be switched on when you try and start the car or does it remain connected and the battery automatically only take what it needs until full.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, Thanks to all who reply!

The output would be, ideally, 14v to run the cars electrical systems and charge the 12v lead acid battery.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Mean Well RSP-750-15

Input AC World universal, 90-264 Vac 47-63 Hz
** or 127 - 370 Vdc **

Output adjustable between 13.5 and 16.5Vdc
current max lesser of 50A or 750W

That way you can equalize, or drop to Float

the 12V nominal models are too low for proper "nominal 12V" charging if the batt gets depleted

Can also use to charge from genset or mains

Also, unlike cheaper makes, decent current limiting, less likely to burn it out if your loads demand over 750W

Just be aware, not a 3-stage **charger**, so can potentially overcharge a lead bank, if using with a sealed batt isolate it once truly full, with FLA nbd just keep water topped up.

If you use a very expensive 12V deep cycling bank, best to go with a proper stage charger.

But ideal if adapting to LFP in future, don't want to Float those anyway

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm actually using a riding mower wet cell battery.

my "tank empty" voltage is 121vdc, do you think that will be a problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts