DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two large electric motors that I was hoping to use as the powerplant for an EV build.
here's the specs;
AC 3 phase
510 volts
Class F
Time rating one hour
54.8 Hz
140 starts /hour
45c Ambient
50% ED
26 Kw output
30 amps
822 RPM
35HP
Manufactured by Kollmorgen
At the top it has
Machrat: 5.2T-58x1

So, if they are of no use to my vehicular machinations, where would they be well received and therefore possibly traded for something better suited to my goals.
What else could they be used for to either trade or sell to get the unit(s) I actually need?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Seems like it's an industrial servo motor to me. And, the specs are not particularly well suited to an EV - the rated voltage is too high, kw too low, amperage too low, very low RPM. Though, you can likely push the motor faster than it normally wants and harder than it says you can. Industrial motors are rated more for more continuous operation than an EV motor would be. In a car you accelerate only momentarily and then presumably your required power goes way down and the motor has time to cool. So, you can push the motor a bit harder. Still, those motor parameters just don't look like something I'd willingly put in a car. If I'm right about what they are then try to sell them to someone with a broken mill or other industrial machine and buy something more suited for the task.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have a feeling they are capable of much more than rated for possibly a significant time, on the order of a couple minutes or more. they were from elevator systems, and were the actual lift motors. I kind of knew they weren't right for a car, I could not be that lucky. Maybe a forklift, but not a car. But they were almost impossible to get up onto the trailer manually (forklift was occupied for hours), so I was really hoping.
BUT, they did come with four controllers and another different "module" that I expect is the control panel. Module is a loosely used term here, each one is almost the size of a beer fridge and weigh around 60 - 70 lbs each. Is it possible the controllers are helpful?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts