DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I have a Tesla mobile EVSE with J1772 connector to charge my Vanabolt (jesla).
Everything is working well when I'm charging from Nema 14-50 (oven) or 6-50 (welder) outlet, but sometime I have problem with nema 14-30 (dryer).
My chevy bolt charger need 32A and this is a bit too much for dryer outlet. 24A is more appropriate
My question: How can I simply reduce the power of my charger? Simply add a resistor in my J1772 gun to reduce Current limit?

Let me know with simple details. It's not because I'm able to enter a Chevy Bolt powertrain in a Vanagon than I fully understand electronic stuff :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I partially find my answer here: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-14-30-adapter-for-tesla-model-s-and-x-gen-1-15-ft/
I need a tesla mobile 14-30 adapter with the adequate resistor inside (resistor between ground and the fourth pin).
In my 120V 12A adapter there is a 140 kohm resistor and in the 240V 50A adapter (14-50) there is a 20 kohm resistor.
I guess the appropriate resistor to obtain 24A is around 50 kohm
The challenge will be to integrate a such resistor inside my 14-50 adapter or find a cheap 14-30 adapter (I paid 200$ cad for my tesla EVSE, so i'm not interested to pay 140$ cad for an adapter :cool:).

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
It was my understanding that the Chevy chargers can be controlled using CAN bus. You should be able to set voltage and current

1 - 5 of 5 Posts