DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a NEMA converter on ebay ($275), but I need a male/femail pair to setup my home. Where can you get them for something under crazy expensive?

-Bruce

·
Registered
870 Posts
The problem with that is you need to have the proper electronic triggers to enable a standard J1772 charger to charger your car otherwise you have just connected a lookalike that serves no more purpose than an extension cord. An SAE J1772 doesn't supply power to the cord until the charger and supply communicate.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem with that is you need to have the proper electronic triggers to enable a standard J1772 charger to charger your car otherwise you have just connected a lookalike that serves no more purpose than an extension cord. An SAE J1772 doesn't supply power to the cord until the charger and supply communicate.
Yeah, I see that now. I commute every day and want a nice clean and safe way to charge every day without connecting live 220v/30A lines every single day. It would seem we are heading towards J1772 in a hurry, so I didn't want to use any of the older standards. It will be expensive, and I'll wait to see exactly what does happen... patients again

·
Registered
870 Posts
You might want to contact a vendor who sells them such as CurrentEV tech to see if what provisions are required to make your car into a J1772 compliant charger.

If you use the same connector, IMHO your charger should be compatible with the same charging method as the standard which would allow you or someone else to plug in at a charging station without blowing up your car due to some incompatibility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts