DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is that for level II/240v charging?

Doesn't the J1772 spec also include level I/120v charging? Anyone know how specify voltage to the charging station?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just talked to one of my suppliers about this plug. He said someone installed one near their office. I may make one of those pigtails to carry with me. How does it work, you feed it like a parking meter? lol :D
When you signup on the website they give you a card which is read by the charging station. The charging station owner can set the pricing, it might be 2 bucks just to plug in, or charged based on consumption, or free. We have a few at work.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that for level II/240v charging?

Doesn't the J1772 spec also include level I/120v charging? Anyone know how specify voltage to the charging station?

The plug I bought is for Level II (240V). The charging stations at my work are only putting out 208v but it's still better than 115!

Over all I'm happy with the plug. One complaint is that the pins are a bit loose, and the wire leads appear to be 10awg. I would limit your current to 30A even though the standard supports up to 80A. I doubt much of the DIY crowd is pulling more than 30A 240V any how.

The charging stations have a Level I outlet that is basically a standard 115v outlet like you have at home. It's limited to 16 amps, so it is painfully slow, my manzanita doesn't seem to be very efficient at this low current level.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What connects to pins 3, 4 and 5 and what is supposed to happen?
Gerhard
Pin 3 is the common (and ground)

Between Pin 3 - Pin 5 is "Proximity detection", a square wave generated by the charging station. The duty cycle of this square wave tells the car charger what the ampacity of the supply circuit is. It can also tell the charger to stop drawing current so the connector can be unplugged without breaking alot of current. In the future this will be used for data communications with the car.

Between Pin 3 - Pin 4 is "Control Pilot", a signal based on resistance from the car charger to the charging station. Once the car charger is connected and has read the ampacity signal from the charging station, it can enable power from the charging station by closing the switch. Pins 4 & 5 are shorter than the power pins, so power should be killed if unplugging with the power on.

Proximity detection is not required if you manually control the current of your charger. If you pull too much current the charging station will error out (and send you a text message).

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
As a side note, if you use the J1772, make a box big enough to get a firm grip. It takes a stupid amount of force to unplug the J1772. Perhaps my plug and receptacle are still getting broken in, it almost requires two people. I would use a sturdy enclosure!

·
Registered
144 Posts
When you signup on the website they give you a card which is read by the charging station. The charging station owner can set the pricing, it might be 2 bucks just to plug in, or charged based on consumption, or free. We have a few at work.
And what is the website? Thanks.

[/quote]

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
As a side note, if you use the J1772, make a box big enough to get a firm grip. It takes a stupid amount of force to unplug the J1772. Perhaps my plug and receptacle are still getting broken in, it almost requires two people. I would use a sturdy enclosure!
Maybe you should attach a handle to the back of your plug box to give you something to grip.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe you should attach a handle to the back of your plug box to give you something to grip.
the grip would have to mount to the lid, the four tiny screws that hold the lid on would probably tear though. The plastic box is already getting deformed from the grip required.

I was thinking of a wider, flatter box, something I can hold down with one foot while I pull with both hands on the angled plug. Some dielectric grease might help, it could just be dry o-rings binding.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Hey Guys,

Sorry, Not to be pa*n but do you think this setup on the picture a bit unsafe, where bystander can pull cord from the car, where the gas cap used to be and it will still be energized... then it could be dropped in to the puddle...
That why j1772 standard has those 3 and 4 pins to supply signal back to the charger to turn it off... and lock hole under the push-button.

We just have 3 public Charging Stations Opened with just J1772, see it here in my BLOG:http://www.google.com/search?q=1-ev.blogspot.com

My 2c
-Y.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Do you think it's safe to work on 170V+ DC battery packs? Lots of things we do isn't as safe as we'd like and certainly it isn't wise to kick caution to the wind but you have to be practical. I'm buildind the same setup but with a longer cord from the vehicle to the "box" so I can leave the box in the back of my truck or on the ground. It is in a weather resistant box so that is a plus.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey Guys,

Sorry, Not to be pa*n but do you think this setup on the picture a bit unsafe....
I considered this and decided to install the J1772 connector in the vehicle for added safety and to prevent theft of the adapter box.

The cordsets on the right are for charging at home from 120 or 240V.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Do you think it's safe to work on 170V+ DC battery packs? Lots of things we do isn't as safe as we'd like and certainly it isn't wise to kick caution to the wind but you have to be practical. I'm buildind the same setup but with a longer cord from the vehicle to the "box" so I can leave the box in the back of my truck or on the ground. It is in a weather resistant box so that is a plus.
I met to say that we have to worry about bystanders to start lawsuits, they could use unapproved plug as an excuse... to get some money :D

On another hand if plug has a lock and it locked (j1772), then precautions were taken...

I am not to questioning ability of the professionals to work with Hi voltage :)

-Y.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I considered this and decided to install the J1772 connector in the vehicle for added safety and to prevent theft of the adapter box.

The cordsets on the right are for charging at home from 120 or 240V.
Agreed... Good setup. The regular plug end could be hidden behind closed door, witch is locked too... I hope... like http://www.coulombtech.com/

At least some thing like this lock-out Tag-out box http://www.jabac.com/documents/p170.pdf

Also, Can just lower left cable be used with 120v Adapter and the switch 120/240v?

-Y.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts