DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we go,
I plan on converting the jr. Dragster of my son to run electric,
Over here in Europe there is no single electric Dragster yet, so we plan on beeing the first ones to do something like this.
We don t run a championship, do runwhatyoubrung for the fun. Nevertheless we wanna build a competitive car , I ve see some cars on the internet , not much infos shared with them and a lot more than 10 years old, so for sure better technology available nowadays.

Maybe I should mention , i am a color blind mechanic , so i might show up with some questions you are shaking your heads about , so sorry already for this.

My plan is , I wanna buy a battery , not starting to build my own, I found only some Lipo packs with around 20ah , which should be enough for 1/8 mile run.
My concerns are, how to choose the motor ? 36 48 60 and 72 V are available around here, a lot of Ebike stuff beeing sold online
But how many watts do we need ?

Some are even sold as complete kits , Motor with controller , but I dont really get the point if this stuff is strong enough to seriously power a jr dragster supposed to go up to 85 mph at a later stage.
Is any of this stuff suitable for my purpose , or are all those controllers, motors and kits useless for me ?
I ve build some 36V 500 watt rideon toys for my sons with VW spit and bug bodies over them , but obviously this is a all different game.

Greets from Luxembourg
Sam

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
So here we go,
I plan on converting the jr. Dragster of my son to run electric,
Over here in Europe there is no single electric Dragster yet, so we plan on beeing the first ones to do something like this.
We don t run a championship, do runwhatyoubrung for the fun. Nevertheless we wanna build a competitive car , I ve see some cars on the internet , not much infos shared with them and a lot more than 10 years old, so for sure better technology available nowadays.

Maybe I should mention , i am a color blind mechanic , so i might show up with some questions you are shaking your heads about , so sorry already for this.

My plan is , I wanna buy a battery , not starting to build my own, I found only some Lipo packs with around 20ah , which should be enough for 1/8 mile run.
My concerns are, how to choose the motor ? 36 48 60 and 72 V are available around here, a lot of Ebike stuff beeing sold online
But how many watts do we need ?

Some are even sold as complete kits , Motor with controller , but I dont really get the point if this stuff is strong enough to seriously power a jr dragster supposed to go up to 85 mph at a later stage.
Is any of this stuff suitable for my purpose , or are all those controllers, motors and kits useless for me ?
I ve build some 36V 500 watt rideon toys for my sons with VW spit and bug bodies over them , but obviously this is a all different game.

Greets from Luxembourg
Sam
Hi Sam,
Check out: http://www.nedra.com/jr_dragsters.html

I think the organization is represented in Europe.
Good luck,
major

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot , yes i ve seen this website before , i dont think they are active in Europe , we where on a couple races and all jr over here have alcohol engines for the moment .
The cars i ve seen online are all dated 2010 approx , where all this ebike things were far from where they are today .
The car is at 115 kg with a gas engine. The driver at 35 kg so 150 kg in total .
I hope to use some „stock“ parts available.
But i dont really know what they are capable to do

·
Registered
492 Posts
Jegs sells kits here in the U. S. which may help your plan. One of the guys at our local track has one with the Impulse 9 and he just built another using the Hyper 9.

Jegs.com

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow there i gonna have a lot to read 😉 thanks for that.
Yes i ve seen the Kits , but they are a different level and a price class i cant play in . But allways good to get an idea for sure .
I am still in contact with the local clubs to see if they would even accept us with one of those .

·
Administrator
6,088 Posts
Wow there i gonna have a lot to read 😉 thanks for that.
Yes i ve seen the Kits , but they are a different level and a price class i cant play in . But allways good to get an idea for sure .
I am still in contact with the local clubs to see if they would even accept us with one of those .
Hi - I had thought that a 9 inch motor would be too big for your dragster - but if it's NOT too big and heavy then you should get hold of a used 9 inch forklift motor
They go for about $100 to $200 dollars - weigh about 60 kg

I suggest using a Paul & Sabrina controller

I'm using an 11 inch motor - Hitachi - in my road legal two seater and I'm hitting 96 mph at the end of the 1/8th mile

·
Registered
396 Posts
To give you a little idea on power.
The first JEGS dragster driveline Lonestar sponsored for a $1 fee.
We installed a 9" Netgain Impulse motor, a Zilla 1K and a Lonstar Sleeper Cell pack.
The driver was 16 then 17 then 18, he was about 160lbs.
the car weighed 401lbs
They ran 7.9 all day long at 85mph.
Their settings were about 750 motor amps and about 96 motor volts.
for about 100 battery horsepower peak. Minus efficiency it was probably 80-85% peak horsepower.

So scale your final total weight from those numbers and select for your drivers expected performance level.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts