DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the Elcon charger I'm using has just two wires for power, no center leg. So, I can cut the 20amp 220v outlet off and use a welding style 50amp plug and plug it in where I plug my welder. However, the juice box that just arrived has three prongs - and all of my outlets just have two wires and ground. Are they using the center leg to get 110v in the Juice Box? Am i going to have to pull a whole new cable into the outlet to make the Juice Box work?

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
If someone happens to be familiar with the "Juice Box" charger, they might be able to help. For the rest of us, if you can link to some source of information (the manufacturer, or online documentation) for your Juice Box perhaps we could help interpret.

I'm guessing that this is an Enel X JuiceBox... but which model? There are at least four.

The "materials needed" link for hardwire installation of the JuiceBox 40 in the Installation Guide page says "#6AWG copper wire with 2 conductors and a ground."... which implies that no neutral (which is what I assume you mean by "center leg") is needed.

They do provide a NEMA 14-50 plug with the plug-in versions, perhaps only because that receptacle is more common than a NEMA 6-50 ("welder") receptacle without the neutral pin. The "materials needed" list for the plug-in version shows the 14-50 and "#6AWG copper wire with 3 conductors and a ground" but notes "The neutral wire is not used, but may need to be present in the receptacle."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I went looking, but you found the info - thanks for that. Yes, it's a JuiceBox 40. Sorry for not mentioning that. I'd also sent an email to JuiceBox, and it being the weekend was not expecting a response, but the responded this morning with.

"If you have a 6-50 receptacle, you can use a standard 6-50 to 14-50 adapter."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts