DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just bought a Kelly KDHE controller for a project. I have never used a controller as complex as this one. I am only familiar with non-programmable ones, or the Alltrax one.
This one has both the J1, and the J2 ports enabled, but I likely will not use the J1.
I am worried I will screw this up, and was hoping you guys could help. I just want to hook it up for basic function, as I will not be doing the "extras"

I have hacked up the diagram to what I think is should be but im not sure. I have emailed Fran at Kelly a few times, but I think she is growing impatient with my newby type questions.
On of my concerns with the drawing is the J2-Pin14 connection. Is there anyone willing to check this out and see if I'm about to fry my controller?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Looks to be like the basic wiring setup without reversing contractors. Looks good. Before connecting up pack voltage be sure you have your controller connected properly to 12 volts and check that you can connect your computer and check your parameters. Kelly is still pretty basic and easy to program. Be sure you have your controller mounted to a good finned heat sink and a good high output fan across the heat sink or mounted to a good well built water cooled heat sink. I’ll send you some pics this evening to show you. Do not compromise when it comes to keeping the controller cool.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks for the reply. I have it mounted on a 10" X 16" - 1/4" thick aluminum plate. I will only be running it for 1-2 max at a time. will I need more cooling than that? I could maybe add a finned heat sink the bottom of that plate maybe. Not sure if that will help much. It will only run at full power for about 5 sec. at a time, but will run for up to 2 mins for staging.

thanks again!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is for the golf cart in my avatar. Drag racing, strip and dirt. 144v, of Odyssey PC680's.
I will work on a heat sink tonight. Like you said, not need to risk it.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the controller hooked up for to connect to computer. I still need to hook up the foot pedal.
In the manual it says I can hook up a Kelly amp meter. I found the Kelly amp meter and it only read in %, do you know if a standard 1000 amp dc amp meter will work?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Be sure you get a good quality amp meter with the proper shunt and you are good to go. The manual should give you instructions for a proper amp meter hook up. Otherwise you will need to find a proper diagram for connecting your amp meter. If Kelly does not provide that then maybe you can find it on the Curtis Web site. Its actually quite simple.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I have the controller hooked up for to connect to computer. I still need to hook up the foot pedal.
In the manual it says I can hook up a Kelly amp meter. I found the Kelly amp meter and it only read in %, do you know if a standard 1000 amp dc amp meter will work?
Odd that they use an amp meter that only shows percentage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HI i have got to ask important . DID you buy on ebay and if you did does it have 6 mounting holes in the base
Yes I bought if from EBAY. It has eight mount holes. Six factory, and two drilled, presumably, by previous owner.
Why do you ask?

·
Registered
21 Posts
HI i have got to ask important . DID you buy on ebay and if you did does it have 6 mounting holes in the base
hi it is now obvious to me u purchased it on ebay or u wouldn't be asking for the number. i do not threw it out this is why i had asked about the mounting holes those controllers only have 4 holes . if it is my return to ebay it will work until you get it all wired and step on throttle full then it goes dead. using a o-5k pot. the seller waited a few months and relisted the controller. with this said i believe my video of the controller is still on you tube.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi it is now obvious to me u purchased it on ebay or u wouldn't be asking for the number. i do not threw it out this is why i had asked about the mounting holes those controllers only have 4 holes . if it is my return to ebay it will work until you get it all wired and step on throttle full then it goes dead. using a o-5k pot. the seller waited a few months and relisted the controller. with this said i believe my video of the controller is still on you tube.
AS well i contacted kelly for help when asked were it was purchased kelly sunbed their nose .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I assure you this controller has 6 mounting holes from the factory. I drilled and tapped my mounting plate using the controller dimensions, (and mount hole dimensions) listed in the downloadable manual from Kellys web site before I even bought the controller. When I finally got the controller, it mount exactally they way the manual said.
When the controller cam in it has 2 extra holes that had been drilled in the mounting flange.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HI i have got to ask important . DID you buy on ebay and if you did does it have 6 mounting holes in the base[/QUOTE
HI yes the controller comes from kelly with 4 holes i drilled 2 more holes . i believe the seller name is kachunk63 your controller is the one he relisted after i send it back to him not working proper. i can tell you this kelly does not repair controllers they get rid of them. the lady you spoke to at kelly told me herself when i had the controller she felt bad for me when i told her i bought it on ebay. i hope the controller works out for you and u dont get beat out of your 7 . if you want more info you can reach me at [email protected] i still have the messages back and forth from the seller . i think i can get the video of the controller not working from YouTube . look verry close to the controller were the B+ B- the area should be shiney differ from the rest of the face plate i had some differ color dots next to the tabs that had to be removed with lacquer thinner before returning it to the seller kachunk63 witch is no longer listed as an ebay seller.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts