DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting in a new 1231 Curtis controller, and rather then buy the extra fins, I am thinking of cutting pieces of angle aluminum, and attaching it to the back of the controller with JB weld. I would extend the angle aluminum beyond the controller so it would could catch the breeze from under my battery box.

I would also bolt the controller down so there would be more the the JB holding it. The JB weld would just be there for better heat transfer. I could use thermal compound, but thermal compound is not a usually permanent solution (would need to be re done from time to time), and the JB weld would be permanent.

I'm just looking for feedback, or offering the idea to others.

·
Registered
325 Posts
JB Weld is epoxy with some metal mixed in, and works mostly as a insulator, you'd just about ruin your controller if you use it to attach a heat sink. Use thermal paste and some mechanical pressure.

I am putting in a new 1231 Curtis controller, and rather then buy the extra fins, I am thinking of cutting pieces of angle aluminum, and attaching it to the back of the controller with JB weld. I would extend the angle aluminum beyond the controller so it would could catch the breeze from under my battery box.

I would also bolt the controller down so there would be more the the JB holding it. The JB weld would just be there for better heat transfer. I could use thermal compound, but thermal compound is not a usually permanent solution (would need to be re done from time to time), and the JB weld would be permanent.

G

·

Spend the money for a proper heat sink and fan to keep your controller cool. Thermal compound is required and JB weld is the worst thing you could do. Far too many loose components by trying to cut corners. This stuff is expensive so spend the money to protect it. Heat is your enemy so get the sink and put the fan on and make it live a good long life. Make your investment pay off in the end. You will be a happy camper. No heat sink can and most likely will kill your controller. They may be able to run a golf cart without any extra but in an on the road car you need one. No exceptions. I guarantee you will need the heat sink to draw away heat.

Once my proper sink was installed with the fan it never got hot. Ever. The controller is still working today in an on road car.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. I stopped at Radio Shack and got some thermal compound.

This is one of them, it seems like a good idea until you start to tell other people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts