DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are using kelly controller kdz48551.peak 550a and continuous current 220a But when we connect the shunt resistor to measure the current, we hit 400a and we go down to 80a in three seconds. Is the controller broken? The battery we use is 52v78ah and the peak current is 400a. The motor I use is agni motor 119r
Rectangle Font Parallel Software Electronic device

Blue Font Gadget Line Screenshot

Blue Font Line Communication Device Technology

Blue Output device Cloud Font Gadget

·
Registered
527 Posts
Is this happening before use? (like just while doing connections)
...or during use?
...or when programming?

I have a Kelly KDZ 48400 on my Hell-raiser kart

Here is a "shaky" video of some of the power meter readings, while in use ;)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The controller is throttling back the current because the battery can't supply 400 Amps and maintain the minimum voltage limit. See note [2] on your third photo.

Try lowering your max motor current to something like 100 A [set to 25% in photo 4], then do WOT test and measure the battery voiltage while under such a load. Then try 200A, and repeat. Eventually you will find the point in which the battery can't hold up it's voltage under load.

The battery is the main factor in EV performance; in your case it is the weak link in the chain of battery, controller, motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply.Keep starting the motor current at 80 percent, and if you keep going down, you're going to hit 380a and go down to 80a. Isn't this an internal problem with the controller? I don't know what the problem is

·
Registered
98 Posts
You're just hitting the limit of what your battery can do.

"Peak Current" is not "Continuous Current."

Peak Current is only available for a couple of seconds.

On a 78ah battery the continuous current rating is only going to be about 70-90 amps.
(So the 80 amps you're measuring is spot on )

So while you can do hundreds of amps for a couple of seconds the voltage will rapidly drop down to 40.3 volts and the controller will throttle back the current to prevent it dropping lower ( to protect the battery ).

Nothing is broken.

You can increase the maximum current by setting the minimum voltage lower ( I strongly recommend you don't ) but you won't get much more power out of it than you are getting right now.

The controller you have could handle three of the batteries you are currently using.

So if you have room , and the budget, I'd recommend two more batteries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're just hitting the limit of what your battery can do.

"Peak Current" is not "Continuous Current."

Peak Current is only available for a couple of seconds.

On a 78ah battery the continuous current rating is only going to be about 70-90 amps.
(So the 80 amps you're measuring is spot on )

So while you can do hundreds of amps for a couple of seconds the voltage will rapidly drop down to 40.3 volts and the controller will throttle back the current to prevent it dropping lower ( to protect the battery ).

Nothing is broken.

You can increase the maximum current by setting the minimum voltage lower ( I strongly recommend you don't ) but you won't get much more power out of it than you are getting right now.

The controller you have could handle three of the batteries you are currently using.

So if you have room , and the budget, I'd recommend two more batteries.
By the way, our battery bms setting is maintained for 400a 30 seconds. But I'm not sure if 400a stays for 2 seconds and then falls to 80a. Why is that?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Maybe it's a language translation issue?

문제는 배터리 팩에 있습니다. 셀은 부하를 공급하기에 충분한 용량(A-hr)이 없습니다.

팩은 고전류(400A)를 공급할 수 없고 작동 전압을 유지할 수 없습니다. 전압은 컨트롤러의 저전압 설정 아래로 풀다운되고 컨트롤러는 기본적으로 80A로 설정됩니다. 이것은 컨트롤러가 작동하는 방식의 정상적인 작동이며 결함이 아닙니다.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The value listed in the BMS is how much current you could draw for 30 seconds if you don't care about how much the voltage drops

So you could draw 400 amps for 30 seconds ,but you'll also drop down to about 8 volts in 30 seconds.

So that number is technically true , but borderline useless for a traction controller.

What's happening is at a 5C discharge rate you're dropping to 40 volts in three seconds ( which is normal ) and the Kelly controller throttles back to 80 amps to prevent the voltage dropping even lower. ( which is also normal)

This is the setting I was talking about modifying
You could set it to the minimum voltage the controller can operate at but you're already real close to that value

If you want to do over 200 amps for more than 5 seconds you'll need two more batteries.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We are using kelly controller kdz48551.peak 550a and continuous current 220a But when we connect the shunt resistor to measure the current, we hit 400a and we go down to 80a in three seconds. Is the controller broken? The battery we use is 52v78ah and the peak current is 400a. The motor I use is agni motor 119r View attachment 131008
View attachment 131009
View attachment 131007
View attachment 131006
Did you try talking to a Kelly rep? I am considering one of these controllers and I am interested in what their after sale service is like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts