DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
There just are not many Niro EVs out there in the salvage stream yet, because the Niro EV only started in 2018... and of course it's unlikely that anyone has figured out the factory BMS yet.

Some EV components are apparently shared with the Hyundai Kona, and the battery is likely the same (or at least the same modules) as the latest Kia Soul EV... or maybe not, if the Soul gets the Kona battery. There are apparently two capacities - 39.2 kWh and 64 kWh. tiger82 used the earlier Kia Soul EV battery in the Tesla Powered Cobra Race Car, where it apparently worked well but just didn't have enough capacity (it was only 27 kWh, versus the current 64 kWh). The original Kia batteries were air-cooled, but the current Kia /Hyundai packs are liquid-cooled.

The Niro battery is reportedly a polymer-electrolyte design from SKI, different from the LG Chem battery in the Kona. The fires were apparently in vehicles with the LG Chem battery.

LG Chem and SK Innovations are apparently in a legal fight over intellectual property rights, LG accusing SKI of stealing designs.

Other than minimal overall specs from Kia, I haven't seen any details about the Niro EV battery. I don't even know how many modules it is split into.

One entire Niro EV battery might be a good match for the dual Leaf motor truck. The Niro EV's maximum motor power is 150 kW, similar to two original Leaf motors or one Leaf+ motor, and the battery must support that. It weighs (according to Kia) 1,008 pounds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm also searching for information on these Kia/Hyundai batteries. I recently purchased a Hyundai Kona 64kWh battery pack (got it fairly cheap) and now studying what I could do with it. So far haven't found much information about the BMS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I could hook up to battery's CAN, that would be great. However, I don't have that expertise. Is there any advice where to start? I have no earlier experience on communicating CAN bus other than watching a few Youtube videos :)

I actually ended up disassembling the battery pack to module level. Below are some photos from my experiment. The pack consists of 10 modules which are bundled in five pairs, each having one BMS slave that are then connected to master BMS. The modules are 8*3P10S and 2*3P9S, whole pack being 3P98S. Each cell is 218Wh. If I found these Erni connectors I could build my own wiring loom for some aftermarket BMS and it's also possible to utilize the existing wiring loom. I've measure and it's possible to get almost all (but not all) cell voltages from the pins of the connector.

Automotive tire Black Snow Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Font Bumper

Water Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood

Water Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Black

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Audio equipment Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Asphalt Automotive exterior

Master BMS, cooling liquid hoses, contactors etc.

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive air manifold

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

In the rear end of the battery pack modules are stacked on top of each other.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Circuit component Audio equipment

Service disconnect and a fuse are located on the top of the rear end of the battery pack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Electrical wiring Auto part Electrical supply Technology Gas

Each 3P10S module was 38.4 volts so these are well charged over 50%.

Asphalt Tool Wood Font Road surface

Hand Black Orange Gesture Finger

There's a fuse built in one of the bus cables.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Gas

Two modules are connected with a "jumper" component. In overall lots of M5 bolts are used to build these modules. It would be easy to connect to these modules because of the bolt connection.

Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt Motor vehicle

One of the modules moved to a pallet. These are pretty heavy, bout 80 kg.

Wood Rectangle Road surface Automotive exterior Composite material

Each pair of modules are attached to a cooling/warming plate with a double-side thermally conductive adhesive.

Wood Gas Composite material Tool Office supplies

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did disassemble one of the 3p9s modules. They could easily be used in some application as individual 3p 650Wh cells. Six M5 bolts in both ends.
Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface

Hood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Handwriting Automotive design

Wood Asphalt Urban design Engineering Road surface

The modules have two PCBs connecting the cells to a connector where the voltages are going to slave BMS modules. There does not seem to be any chips in these boards, just connections to a connector.

Wood Engineering Composite material Gas Metalworking

There are total of six different connectors. These blue ones are in 3p9s modules, 3p10s modules have red and blue ones. Connectors are made by Erni. So far I haven't found exact types.

Circuit component Electronic component Electronic engineering Hardware programmer Gas

Automotive lighting Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Wood

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive tire Gas

Motor vehicle Bumper Electrical wiring Trunk Electronic instrument

Two modules are always linked to each other so it's possible to measure voltage of both modules in one connector.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle

Wood Building Gas Flowerpot Machine

·
Registered
9 Posts
this teardown was great!
red/blue 20pins connector is balancing (i guess)
blue 10pin are temp sensors (i guess)
black 20pin are connector to master or slave bms (i guess)

I have little experience with canbus, short said.. raw and might be encrypted for data validation. The conclusion is the OEM-master/slave bms might be encrypted with the key stored in car-data. If you dont got your hands on that then those bms might be useless..

·
Registered
18 Posts
The connectors are all for balancing. It's a bit difficult to explain the connections. Temp sensors are saparate from these, they are connected straight to the slave BMS. There's only total of four temp sensors in these 10 modules plus one on cooling circuit. So only four modules out of 10 has one temp sensor!
The blue, red and black connectors are only for cell voltage/balancing. Smaller 3p9s -modules only have the blue connectors since they are only connected to the next module on one end. 10s modules have connectors on both ends so it's possible to connect next module on either end and still handle balacing for two modules at the same time from either end of the module pair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hood Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Road surface

Here's a photo of the temp sensor.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Electrical wiring Wire

Here's an example of a wiring loom that connects one slave module to one pair of modules. Blue connectors are going to one end of the module and the BMS can see both modules - they are linked with the bridge cable (there was picture earlier).

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, unfortunately there is no other markings on the temp sensor.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Here's another view on the temp sensor. There are these slots on modules (six on each) where the temp sensor can be inserted. Plenty of options but total of only four of these sensors in the whole pack is used.

Wood Grey Material property Gas Bumper

Each cell pack have four slots (two on each end) for these sensors.

Gesture Art Sleeve Font Recreation

Here's the whole harness on my garage floor. I've removed some of the module harnesses (orange ones) and only one of the temp sensors is attached. The communication to the battery is via connector at the bottom.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Measuring instrument Gas Auto part
Finger Gas Electrical wiring Wire Thumb

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Asphalt Automotive exterior

Here are the coctactors, pre-charge resistor, connection to inverter. Battery + and - are connected under the black nuts on top of the device.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's the inside of the master BMS. No any markings on the ICs.

Circuit component Electronic engineering Electronic component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Audio equipment

And here's slaves, with and without casing. The one on right has the battery module harness connected.
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Font Electronic component

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

It would be great to have a circuit diagram of whole battery but unfortenately I don't have that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts