DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't see much discussion about using Niro batteries in conversions. Any reason why not to?. I don't see many truly negative comments about the battery other than the odd fire.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
There just are not many Niro EVs out there in the salvage stream yet, because the Niro EV only started in 2018... and of course it's unlikely that anyone has figured out the factory BMS yet.

Some EV components are apparently shared with the Hyundai Kona, and the battery is likely the same (or at least the same modules) as the latest Kia Soul EV... or maybe not, if the Soul gets the Kona battery. There are apparently two capacities - 39.2 kWh and 64 kWh. tiger82 used the earlier Kia Soul EV battery in the Tesla Powered Cobra Race Car, where it apparently worked well but just didn't have enough capacity (it was only 27 kWh, versus the current 64 kWh). The original Kia batteries were air-cooled, but the current Kia /Hyundai packs are liquid-cooled.

The Niro battery is reportedly a polymer-electrolyte design from SKI, different from the LG Chem battery in the Kona. The fires were apparently in vehicles with the LG Chem battery.

LG Chem and SK Innovations are apparently in a legal fight over intellectual property rights, LG accusing SKI of stealing designs.

Other than minimal overall specs from Kia, I haven't seen any details about the Niro EV battery. I don't even know how many modules it is split into.

One entire Niro EV battery might be a good match for the dual Leaf motor truck. The Niro EV's maximum motor power is 150 kW, similar to two original Leaf motors or one Leaf+ motor, and the battery must support that. It weighs (according to Kia) 1,008 pounds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts