DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start shootng video clips and putting them up... but am wasting a lot of time with incompatible file formats and such. I have a camera that outputs .mov files, but the editor only accepts .avi or .mpg . I cannot find a free simple editor and hesitate to buy anything before I KNOW it will be compatible and simple.

so.... any recommendations for simplest way to take short .mov clips, do some minor edits, and have things in a format I can upload to youtube or whatever?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It's not free, but pretty cheap. I like to start with Apple QuickTime. You can cut clips down to the interesting part. You can even make a simple movie by pasting clips together, and pasting in .jpg files for titles and banners.

Even if I use a fancier movie maker, like Windows Movie Maker, I like to start with QuickTime to cut down the clips. WMM is free and pretty good for 10 minute movies.
I would like to start shootng video clips and putting them up... but am wasting a lot of time with incompatible file formats and such. I have a camera that outputs .mov files, but the editor only accepts .avi or .mpg . I cannot find a free simple editor and hesitate to buy anything before I KNOW it will be compatible and simple.

so.... any recommendations for simplest way to take short .mov clips, do some minor edits, and have things in a format I can upload to youtube or whatever?

G

·
I agree about quicktime as .mov is quicktime native. Cut clip and play. There should be plenty of free .mov to .avi. What Camcorder do you use? Mine is output into .mp4 format. I use iMovie and Quicktime. Mac versions.

Pete :)

This was my latest fun with iMovie. Just a quickie with some of the new stuff offered in the program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE6cmX0smgc

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Sony HDD camcorder that i haven't messed with very much that records directly to .mpg. My daughter has a still camera that records surprisingly good clips to .mov, and I have a Nikon d90 which can record clips to .mpg I believe.

so.... I am wondering what the best format is to use during edit for 'lossless' compression which can then be converted for final output to either DVD or youtube, and what is prefered for re-size and small files to upload to youtube to retain good visual quality.

G

·
Not sure what format is best as there is no standard that is claimed to be the best. I guess then RAW data is the best. Go from there but since your camera does not output into raw I guess you must deal with what you get. I'd go with quicktime then output to what ever platform you intend the move to be shown on. Quicktime will output to many different final formats that best suit the need. I think quicktime pro is like $29 bucks from Apple. Yes it is for PC's too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts