DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just commenced conversion of my 1973 Series 3 LandRover Lightweight .

Being a bit of a LandRover tragic it took me 30 something years till I was able to come by this variety of LandRover, the Lightweight (Airportable) version never being in use in Australia (nor USA for that matter)

It was built solely for Military markets , this one served in HongKong by the British Army (Gurkha Regiment) till 1986 .

People think Im nuts converting this because of its rarity , but I think its Ideal for EV conversion . I use it as a local runabout, most trips not enough to warm the engine up, & the most I would travel about once a month would be is a 100 km round trip , it stinks on gas with the canvas top rolled up & is a pain to re fuel as the fillers are under the seats. But mostly its about the the need to have a 'project'.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
HPEVS AC51 and the last CanEV LandRover series adaptor in existence

and with the the Flywheel adaptor . I have a funny feeling that Flywheel is too far back

I have some inspiration from http://adventure-ev.com/?cat=6
where I see JeffG found the CanEV flywheel adaptor was also too far back, he made up an adaptor to space the motor forward.

UPDATE, Randy at CEV has contacted me and is producing more LandRover adaptors , with the correct spacing so following shaft mods will not be necessary)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is the problem,

Crankshaft flange on ICE , 34mm from rear mounting face of engine

Rear of CanEV flywheel adaptor from mounting face of adaptor = 49mm

CanEVflywheel adaptor compared to ICE crank flange.

As I see it here are my options
1/ I need to make a 15mm spacer to sandwich between motor and adaptor plate
2/ Remove a combination of 15mm from motor shaft and Flywheel adaptor .
3/ modify clutch release - a combination of shortening pivot point to move throw out fork reward a few mm and/or make a new thrust bearing holder / get a thinner bearing.

4/ a combination of 2 &3 above .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here goes nothing !

Surgical removal of 6mm from shaft end .
.....Some precision engineering right here folks!! now I only need to find 11mm more .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
removing 7.5mm of material from rear of flywheel adaptor , now just need to find 3.5 mm

I also bored through the small center hole so that the shaft could come all the way through, giving another 2mm and chamfered the inside edge so as to not interfere with the step radius on the motor shaft.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Result is a perfectly engineered (well almost) solution, without needing to sandwich a spacer plate.

I am now out only 1.5mm which can easily be taken up with clutch rod adjustment.

Next job to tackle will be design and fabricate a front motor mount.

·
Registered
247 Posts
and the last CanEV LandRover series adaptor in existence
Why, dont they make them anymore ?

What is your setup going to look like, voltage, batteries etc ?
Where are you going to put the battery boxes ?

I have plans on converting my series 2A 109 also but havent decided on what setup.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why, don't they make them anymore ?

What is your setup going to look like, voltage, batteries etc ?
Where are you going to put the battery boxes ?

I have plans on converting my series 2A 109 also but havent decided on what setup.
I don't know why. Maybe the demand is too small, Upon my first enquiry Randy at CanEV said they don't make them anymore and a week later he replied to say he found the last one on the shelves.

I see Evwest have one listed so you might be lucky.
http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=133

I am going to use 45 x 180ah CALB Lifepo4 cells for 144v

I currently have the two original 45 litre under seat fuel tanks, I am going to make a pair of battery boxes in the same pattern and mounts as the original tanks , each will hold 10 cells nicely & weigh only about 5 kg more than a full tank of petrol.

The other 25 cells will go in a box above the motor .

None of the existing cargo area will be sacrificed for battery or electrics.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another problem to be solved.

As it stands the motor wont fit the gearbox.

i bought this LandRover adaptor kit so that I would not have to re-invent the wheel, but I do have to modify that wheel significantly . I wonder how other people get on ? (I know it would not have been an issue if I took the JeffG approach and sandwiched another 15mm plate between adaptor and motor)

The front of the gearbox input shaft is 46mm forward of the mating plane of bell housing.
the rear of the motor shaft is 44mm forward of the mating plane .

So I need to execute a delicate operation and chop the front 3mm from the input shaft .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cool project!

The chamfer on the end of that input shaft looks like about 3mm, good luck with a cutting disc.

I would just use a rough grit sanding pad on a disc grinder and sand it back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep, If I remove the chamfer we will be set ,

I'll hit it with a flapper disc tomorrow. I'll just leave a small chamfer to help it ease into the spigot, if I make a dummy shaft (clutch alignment tool ) that chamfer wont really be necessary anyway.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi. Interested, as I have a '65 Series 2 Rover. I decided not to convert, as I regularly use it for weekend fishing trips. However I'm intimately familiar with all of the bits.

Good work so far, too bad about Randy's adaptor plate.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi. Interested, as I have a '65 Series 2 Rover. I decided not to convert, as I regularly use it for weekend fishing trips. However I'm intimately familiar with all of the bits.

Good work so far, too bad about Randy's adaptor plate.
Thanks, I also use this LandRover on a regular basis, mostly only short trips, which is not good for the ICE it hardly even opens the thermostat , so I often drive 10-15 km extra just to get it to operating temperature which is a waste. I think it will be perfect when Electric and I just know I'll also be wanting to drive it on the longer routes just for the fun of it :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I made a dummy motor so that I can design and fabricate the front engine mount rather than waiting till I fit the real motor .

The good thing about these LandRovers is they still have a crank handle start, so you can hand crank the ICE even with a flat battery . so there is a hole in the front bumper which lines up exactly with the centre of the crankshaft and thus the gearbox input shaft .

I just shoved a rod through the hole in the bumper , through the dummy motor and onto the input shaft , thus the dummy is sitting exactly in the correct alignment , which you will notice is off centre by virtue of the 4x4 design - (to allow sump clearance from the diff pumpkin)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Forget CAD, I try the old fashion way, hang on this is also CAD ........ Cardboard Aided Design :)

attempt 1 , front mount template cutout . (on real motor :) )

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Goingbush

Thank so much for posting about your conversion - and especially the pictures.

I have an 86" Series One, with an unreliable, non-original diesel which I am looking to convert to electric.

How did you come up with your chosen spec - in particular, why AC and which batteries will you use and how many?

Are you an electronics expert? I'm not and an AC installation scares me! I guess I'm looking for a recipe which works. The actual physical installation looks straightforward for any Landy owner worth his salt...

Many thanks,

Benjamin

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey Benjamin - if you are looking for a recipe which works, you are in the right place. Without knowing what you want to have in the end, hard to say right now. BUT, I'll tell you there is a great deal on a motor/controller combination at EVTV, which was originally in a Ford Van (EV) which was discontinued. That is the Siemens AC motor and DMOC controller. You will pay about 1/4 of what it is worth.

(sorry for jumping in)

(I'm Canadian - sorry for apologizing)

(Sorry for making a joke about Canadians apologizing for everything,but we do tend to do that: empathy)

·
Registered
247 Posts
(Sorry for making a joke about Canadians apologizing for everything,but we do tend to do that: empathy)
Canada ? Where is that ?
Oh yeah you speak French, well, sort of dont ya..
So you're in Europe then ?
No ?
Oh, ok so you're just 'spare' US citizens tucked away up north..
Ok i get it, you're not Amish then ?

You know these elderly USA people where just a bunch of Dutch people we didnt like so we'd sent them of to somewhere else... I believe.. and now they have Trump, or whatever he's called.. the dude with the pale hair.. doesnt he have a Korean brother, looks the same but has black hair..?

Well I dunno, besides the Dutch all these foreigners look the same to me...

Can we talk about Land Rover and EV now ?

1 - 20 of 196 Posts