DIY Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,526 Posts
The whine is still there but looking at some forums and talking to Cedric Lynch he seems to think its the pwm curtis controller that is causing this
Yep, they'll do that.

Better controllers use a higher frequency so that you can't hear it. Nicer ones occasionally send a different frequency to kill any resonance from building (like, 1/100 cycles will be slightly off, so that it never gets a chance to "sing" at a certain frequency, like pushing someone on a swing at the wrong timing, they never get a chance to build height).

I've been thinking of making a "Who's finished a project recently?" list, as there aren't actually that many to note, probably not even one a month. Yours would be on the list :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
The whine might just be normal brush noise. You might try pulling the brushes and put a slight chamfer on the leading and trailing edges of the brushes. If the noise goes away-it's probably the brushes. The noise will probably come back as the brushes wear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So more changes for the boat, today I collected 30 x 36 volt valance batteries I will connect 15 in parallel twice then connect them in series to give me 72 volts. I am still awaiting my new controller from Cedric in the hope of getting rid of the whine.

I am hoping that the batteries and slightly increased voltage give me a longer no sun range and slightly better performance fingers crossed for both, I do wonder sometimes at our sanity when we start these projects but cruising along in near silence makes it all worth while:eek:

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.