DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

Has anyone found a source of leaf batteries yet. Surely there must be some one making replacement cells for the leaf. Down here in NZ its hard to find even second hand ones.

Any ideas?

Cheers Barry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Be cautious on the bigger sellers on ebay. We bought and tested a bunch and they only had 80% capacity left (well used), and higher ESR, so basically EOL cells.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
The oldest Leaf is barely out of battery warranty now, so I'm not at all surprised that there is apparently no aftermarket supplier of complete battery packs... and replacement modules to put into an old pack could be so problematic that I wouldn't bet on ever being able to get them.

It's going to be interesting as EVs get both common and old and people who just treat them as transportation appliances (as they do any car) are faced with maintaining them for more than a decade.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The cells in the older cars had capacity loss much quicker than expected. Right now i'm driving a 2012 that is showing only 65% available after 45k miles. The diminished range is barely enough for my daily commute, and i'm using eco mode with limited climate controls. Not sure it will be enough this winter when use of the heater is needed.

So be picky and only get leaf modules/cells from late model cars with the different chemistry--supposedly they are better.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
So be picky and only get leaf modules/cells from late model cars with the different chemistry--supposedly they are better.
Yes, if buying modules to build a complete DIY EV pack, pick the best affordable technology. But if you're replacing a failed module in an existing pack, or adding modules to extend an existing pack, I assume that matching the existing modules would be important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts