DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

There's decent information on the precharge assembly for the leaf, however, I can't seem to find information on how (and if?) the inverter has a means to discharge?

Anyone know where the discharge resistor is hiding on a Nissan Leaf, is it internal to the inverter? Is this something that most DIYers or OEMs don't worry about? Seems kind of dangerous to have box loaded with a lightening bolt sitting on my bench when everything is "off" :unsure:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm using the stock contactors and inverter, and when I turn them off, the voltage to the inverter drops swiftly. I assume it's something internal, because I didn't do anything to make this happen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll cross that off of my list.(y)

I'm using the stock contactors and inverter, and when I turn them off, the voltage to the inverter drops swiftly. I assume it's something internal, because I didn't do anything to make this happen.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Contactor? Lol, wut?

A relay, not a contactor, is all that you need if you want to be completely anal retentive over every last watt. It's only 7mA flowing from B+ to B- during runtime.

They saved $0.40 on a relay, $0.30 on a socket, $20 on wiring, and $0.30 on a driver...."value engineering" heroes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A contactor burning 5w is probably not using an economizer?

At my first sight at the pic I was quite suprised to see something so simple. But after thinking about it, it actually seems safer and more practical to use just a resistor? One less relay to close\monitor\fail. It's probably never going to fail, and if it does, I'm guessing it would fail open?

I wonder if the inverter would annunciate a failure to discharge...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Your failure assumption is flawed. In DC, there's a better chance of welding the contacts together than failing open, though there's only 7mA here so neither is likely. This was a cost decision.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why would one choose to consume watts holding a NC relay contact open instead of using 7mA via a resistor? What is the advantage to adding the relay?

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand your point.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Extra cost, extra wires, extra i/o, extra failure scenarios, extra code to drive it- all to save the equivalent of about one AA battery worth of energy every couple of hours driving. Turn the radio down a little and you'll achieve the same result.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts