DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My build is coming along (current status) in the photo below. It is a 2014 Leaf into a 1975 BMW. At the moment it thankfully still works after a few near misses.

Also see: BMW 2002e - my conversion of a BMW2002 using a Leaf...

I would like to see if anyone has an elegant solution for the "park actuator" as described on @Tremelune's post:

This is also shown in
by @skooler

See photo below of the actuator still in the gearbox casing.

I would love to be able to fool the actuator in some way to keep the donor car working but without the messy gearbox park assembly. Currently, when I move from Park the shaft rotates and disengages. From what I understand this is normal behaviour. Previously there was a mechanism to stop the gearbox rotating when it was in Park. This was removed with the other half of the gearbox.

Does anyone have success with fooling this system?
(p.s. the part number is: 33251 3NF0A by Denso).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Also, I should mention that when I had my Leaf stuff scattered over the garage floor, I made a shaft that would fit into the parking actuator. It had a flat ground in the other end with a piece of angle steel bolted to it that would catch on a bolt threaded into one of the mounting holes. It was pretty hokey but it served to stop the rotation a bit short of a full revolution and fool the actuator into thinking it was working correctly.

Bill

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bill - @dedlast thanks for the service manual and also the details on the compact solution you used. Do you know if the actuator needs to stop at certain angles or just needs to stop?

I could easily take the original shaft (with a bolt through the shaft) and using the mounting bolts create 3 stops (3 mounting bolts). Two bolts could then be used to limit the shaft.

Do you know if there is a range of movement it needs? or does the shaft just need to be stopped from rotating?

ps - @julwaech did you have any luck?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am working on a design for this that uses a small waterproof linear actuator with internal limit switches. Basically you apply 12v in one polarity or the other to lock and unlock the parking pawl on the Leaf motor. It's a bolt on solution, but it does require re-use of the splined adapter from inside the original actuator.

Is this something anyone else would be interested in?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am working on a design for this that uses a small waterproof linear actuator with internal limit switches. Basically you apply 12v in one polarity or the other to lock and unlock the parking pawl on the Leaf motor. It's a bolt on solution, but it does require re-use of the splined adapter from inside the original actuator.

@InductiveJon - I have ended up using the Resolve Controller - which does not need the parking pawl - see EV conversion kit with Nissan Leaf parts (used) | Resolve-EV

·
Registered
1 Posts

@InductiveJon ... yes would be very interested in this as we are reusing the LEAF gearbox and are keen to use the whole P-brake system, but we don't have the LEAF VCM. The encoder in the actuator talks via the VCM so we need to bypass this. something like the linear actuator you descibe could work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.