DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hah! Back in the days when I had been doing most of my heavy wrenching, it was with cars with engines on the opposite end of the passenger cabin from the driven wheels, with a driveshaft on universal joints between the gearbox (aka transmission) and differential. These gearboxes with half-axles sticking out are somewhat new to me, though not necessarily new technology - the Bug and the '68 Fiat 600D that's behind it in the driveway have that "funny" setup. ;)

Thanks for pointing out the drain plug. When I wasn't looking, my son put the gearbox in hatch of the Leaf, with the half-axle attached, and he apparently leaked oil into the hatch.

By the way, what's a Leaf gearbox worth? I don't need it, but it might be useful to somebody...
Couple hundred bucks at most.

what areyou doingwith the cv axles? I might be interested.
I’m currently designing some vw style stub shafts for the leaf gearbox, so I’m looking for as set of the inner cv joints.

the stub Shafts would enable you to use the leaf gearbox in any vw!

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
This is what things looked like in the Leaf after breaking through the charging port area. The front was so damaged that I couldn't open the latch for the cover and I couldn't easily get behind the whole assembly. I got under the plastic cover to remove the loop for the latch from the door.

View attachment 123519
That will buff out real nice, following! and thank you so much for posting the prices and what you paid for stuff, really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Good information. I'm researching how to fit this in my 63 Corvair Rampside and the step by step photos are a great resource. I plan on documenting my conversion as well since I haven't found any other.
Question: The existing A-frame suspension makes it a bit tight at the bottom. Does anyone know if it is possible to rotate the Leaf Drivetrain so that the motor is located above the axles? I'm assuming the inverter/controller could be located adjacent to this.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I’m currently designing some vw style stub shafts for the leaf gearbox, so I’m looking for as set of the inner cv joints.

the stub Shafts would enable you to use the leaf gearbox in any vw!
Presumably you mean in any air-cooled VW with CV-joint axles, not the swing-axle VW's. Right?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Presumably you mean in any air-cooled VW with CV-joint axles, not the swing-axle VW's. Right?
Yes exactly. would be a 2 part assembly. A splined stub shaft which mates with a flange. A variety of flanges with different bolt patterns, such as a 108mmm (930cv) and 100mm (type 2 cv). Opens up use for other flange style cv axles and drive shafts

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Yes exactly. would be a 2 part assembly. A splined stub shaft which mates with a flange. A variety of flanges with different bolt patterns, such as a 108mmm (930cv) and 100mm (type 2 cv). Opens up use for other flange style cv axles and drive shafts
A modular and (initially) Leaf version of what Yabert did with his Westfalia conversion with Bolt components. (y) He machined the cups off of the Bolt's inner CV joints to produce splined stub shafts, and made flanges to suit the VW CV joints, but his flanges are welded to the stub shafts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A modular and (initially) Leaf version of what Yabert did with his Westfalia conversion with Bolt components. (y) He machined the cups off of the Bolt's inner CV joints to produce splined stub shafts, and made flanges to suit the VW CV joints, but his flanges are welded to the stub shafts.
yeah I’ve done this personally and other folks have aswell with great success. all tho with a variety of other gearboxes. though I’m planing on releasing new replacement parts, no welding involved. Just mount the gearbox, insert the stubs flanges and bolt your axles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I a following this build. Thanks so much for posting prices for the leaf its good to have a real idea of the cost of them at salvage these days. I hope you have been able to make some progress. I am right near Cambridge and would love to come to take a look someday, maybe lend a hand if you need one.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts