DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
People do it all the time here when it gets below zero. They think it is cheaper than paying for a tow truck. I have before when my starter was going out and had to work nights when everything was closed at 4 a.m., so just to be safe and make it home I left the car running. It was a cherry 1971 Ford Torino with the 351 and it loved to run like a raped ape. haha

I should have kept that thing, would have made a nice EV.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I was an 18 y/o rent-a-cop, I was about to leave after pulling a double at a warehouse. It was shift change and the relief guard was late (no surprise). I had gone out 15 minutes early to fire up my 389 tri-power GTO with a automatic choke Quadrajet, seeing as it was a rather cold 43F degrees (HEY This is So Cal haha). It was over an hour on high idle with the choke on! I had sucked a 1/4 tank of gas before I remembered it running :/ I learnt to pull my parking lights on to remind myself that my car was running on those cold lower 40's mornings ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I was an 18 y/o rent-a-cop, I was about to leave after pulling a double at a warehouse. It was shift change and the relief guard was late (no surprise). I had gone out 15 minutes early to fire up my 389 tri-power GTO with a automatic choke Quadrajet, seeing as it was a rather cold 43F degrees (HEY This is So Cal haha). It was over an hour on high idle with the choke on! I had sucked a 1/4 tank of gas before I remembered it running :/ I learnt to pull my parking lights on to remind myself that my car was running on those cold lower 40's mornings ;)
Now thats what I call an oil burner!
so at 1.25 hrs / 18 gallon tank x .25 =3.6gallons and hr X 130000 btu = half million btu to heat a 2 ton car 10 degrees ......oil co.'s love it ! love it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
18 gallon tank
Ummm, I think it was a 22 gallon tank I could get 20.5 in, the rest was air pocket. So 5 gallons burnt and at 98 cents a gallon in 1980, I was really upset lol.

I remember that GTO and the gas station I was at the first time I put a $20 bill in and had no change! I was dumbfounded and thought that was the end all be all of gas prices! Sheesh! Dollar a gallon. No change for a soda pop :(

That was like $1.50 for a pack of Cigs; simple outrageous!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.