DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78 volt Rabbit pickup with flooded Nicads, STM180's to be exact. I am charging with a Rusco at 10 amps. The manual says to charge first at 35 amps until 8 volts per cell is reached and then charge at 7 amps for the same amount of time that I charged at 35 amps. I think I could get quite a bit more out of them if I could charge properly. I didn't want to spend a lot of money until I decide if, and when, to go to LI and a fancy expensive charger.
I found a old used Lester (120/220v) that is for charging a 96 volt pack. The 120 volt circuit works fine charging at about 12 amps. I don't use it that often but its good back up. The 220 curcuit however, pegs the amp meter at 30 amps (or more?) and then blows a 30 amp breaker after a couple minutes.
I've been thru the trouble shooting in the manual an I don't think it is a bad transformer and nothing else on the troubleshooting page rings a bell.
And Ideas? Maybe the higher voltage needed to charge a 96 volt pack just causes to many amps to flow. If this is the case is there anyway to reduce the voltage a bit? More ohms in the resisters?

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
An old Lester set up for FLA batteries, would be too rough on NiCads.

It would do exactly what you describe.

You need a decent cc/cv charger with a curve set for NiCads.

Miz

1 - 2 of 2 Posts