DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My e-golf is out of warranty and it no longer will do timed charging and thus I must charge manually and to 100% each time unless I set a timer and come back down to the garage and stop the charging. I have to first look at the estimated charge time on the car screen and then subtract 15-20 minutes to set the timer. This is complete BS of course, but the 'fix' from VW is $1500.

What I was thinking of doing is getting a smart relay and wire it in to the copilot wire circuit. I will have to break open my 'portable' charger, which I am comfortable with. So my question is, if I start charging and then use this relay to break the copilot circuit in an hour say, will that stop the charging ? Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
$10 says VW added that 'feature' themselves :p
Cutting the control pilot line will shut down charging (it sets available current to zero).
Messing with the proximity line should work too - if you simulate the pressing of the latch on the handle the car will stop charging. Apparently the switch is NC and it shorts out a 330ohm resistor, so you'd want to use an NC relay in line with the switch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts