DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Leyland 255 Tractor with Nissan Leaf motor

951 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  dipsmilee
Thought I would make a post about my current project as I am actually making some progress on it. I've always wanted to do a midsized tractor to see how useful it would be on a small farm, get an idea of how much power is actually used on the haybob or when rolling etc. At least see where batteries capacities need to be to replace a diesel powertrain.

So I bought this last January as it came up at a decent price for what was there. At the time I was still half way through the MGF project which was finished last autumn.
So September last year I cleared a space in a shed and got to work stripping this one down for some light restoration, which turned into a little bit more than that. Rebuilt the brakes, pedal cross shaft, replaced half shaft bearings and seals, front axle trunnion pin bushings. Also decided on a hydrostatic steering upgrade since it there isn't that much cost difference between repairing what I had and putting in hydrostatic components.
That's about where I am so far, just about to put the motor in the next week or so.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

The plan was always a Gen 1 Nissan leaf motor, an extra 69nm of torque and more power at every rpm range. Will be speed limited for obvious reasons!
Running Zombieverter, most probably with CCS fast charge since I found a CCS socket for it. Batteries I expect to come from an Ecorsa/206E. But yet to purchase those, I learnt from my first project to buy the battery when you need them not at the very start. So open to changes there. Once I get the motor and inverter in I will have more of a clue about space for batteries and can plan from there. But aiming for around 40-50kWh of batteries.

Designed and had made up the adaptor plate to mount the motor to the gearbox. Keeping the clutch in order to keep independent PTO. Not losing functionality is important to me.
Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Leaf shaft was from BRAT industries, with my flywheel adaptor that I had laser cut and then shrunk fit into the leaf shaft. With a bit of weld just to make sure, which will be ground down smooth at a later date.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Auto part

Still seem to have endless painting ahead of me, fortunately there isn't that much rust to patch up. Just a bit on the mudguards. But it's exciting to actually be at the point of actually doing conversion activities rather than restoration.
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Really cool to see someone else trying this. Looks like we are at similar stages of the project. I thought I understood from other threads that mounting the flywheel directly to the leaf motor would put too much strain on the motor bearings. Is that a concern you have? I don't know what sort of pilot bearing a Leyland has on the other side of the flywheel - perhaps that gives some support. The Oliver I'm converting just has a brass bushing for the pilot.
I did have some concerns about that as well. So the motor mount has space for two 7208b bearings that will support the shaft and hopefully take all the weight off the motor shaft. There will also be a spacer between the flywheel adaptor and the first bearing so that pressure from the clutch being depressed is put on the bearing which is designed for that type of load as opposed to pushing into the motor shaft.
The leyland flywheel has a ball bearing, but I wouldn't want to put much weight on that either.

Hopefully the photo below helps show the place for the bearings a little better. The designs will be released open source once I know it actually works.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior Gas
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 4
Got the motor in the other day and clutch fitted. Had to drill out the adaptor plate holes a tad more as the motor wasn't quite centre. Should have spent more time on the prototype stage there. But it's sorted now and the motor is fully fitted. Had a chance to fit on the tinwork to see what sort of space is left.
For a change there is tons of space! Double the volume that I need for the batteries I am thinking about.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Blue Vehicle Engineering

Today I got the inverter mounted in place, a little higher than it was in the car, but that's a result of the motor being mounted about 90 degree off. It actually works out quite well, as that will now be the prominent feature when the bonnet is lifted. The space under it can house the charger, or cut down DC-DC.

Motor vehicle Blue Automotive tire Wood Vehicle
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 1
Looking good! The adapter alignment was something I struggled with also. My machinist friend showed me alignment/transfer punches that make it a lot easier. I made a template out of plywood and got it aligned (by shifting some of the holes as you had to), then used those punches to transfer the holes to the metal plate. Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing for batteries.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts