DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was chatting with a friend who does a lot of solar systems like I do and he is looking into using LFP batteries rather than FLA. That struck me as a bit odd because of the extreme price difference and using BMS on LFP batteries.

I know Thundersky makes cheap imitations and when I brought that up he said there a lot of LFP batteries out there with BMS already built into the cell packs with a price point of 50-cents per watt hour.

Any truth to that or is he dreaming it up? I know TS LFP you can get for around 40-cents per watt hour, but does not have BMS. I just cannot see it at 50 cents with BMS.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I know Thundersky makes cheap imitations and when I brought that up he said there a lot of LFP batteries out there with BMS already built into the cell packs with a price point of 50-cents per watt hour.
This statement is entirely false, every word of it.

TS doesn't make imitations, they use the same LFP technology and components as everyone else and they were pioneers in large prismatic LFP market, while everyone else was sitting on their butt. Now the rest of Asian market is catching up, while US companies continue to sit on their fat corporate ass, milking 100 year old technology. So, who is imitating who?

Its difficult to admit, but let's face it, US has lost its edge to China for a long time, if not forever, due to our own greed and horrible fiscal policy.

I also would not call these cells cheap since you have nothing to compare with. How can you judge the value without a baseline?

Also, BMS does not integrate with cells, which is the basic product. BMS integrates with battery packs, which is often done by different companies as additional value. As a customer, you have a choice to buy basic cells and integrate the packs yourself or pay someone else to do it. So again, comparing price of cells and assembled packs is apples to oranges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts