DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been advised that, in order to run a Tesla Small Drive Unit, I'd require 12 x LG Chem battery modules. I've selected these modules because they offer more flexibility in terms of placement and arrangement. My questions are...

Is this the correct quantity? 12? Does that provide enough oomph?

Could I safely install them using the configuration shown in the attached image?

Finally, if this configuration is acceptable, how would I go about designing a battery box? Is this as simple as constructing a metal case that fits snuggly around the modules, or do you have to consider things such as padding, impact protection, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
The modules are pretty robust. Your going to have to work out how to parallel each pair as 16s per module would give you 1P 192S but as a 2P 96S it will be plenty for a Tesla drivetrain, infact thats my exact configuration. They have an ability to discharge high amps while being relatively light weight. But for distance they may not provide enough capacity. The modules ate pretty east to make into 2P units in that configuration. I had to alter 4 of my 12 internally to allow 2P8S per module for the trans tunnel. One thing to note, the aluminium separators should be exposed to air to help keep the pouches cool, when you stack them, make sure you keep the fins on the outside

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm wondering if these batteries would be able to accept a quick-charge of 10Kwh or better. I'm being told they don't have a great cooling capacity and so it's not advisable to quick-charge.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Told by who?
My regen is probably better then 50 kw, and I'm charging at 17kw with the Gen 3,72A charger.
So I would be interested in the source of this information.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe I'm mis-speaking. You can charge the LG Chem batteries on a quick-charger on the road and get like 100 miles an hour charge? Maybe it's the BMS that needs upgrading, not the batteries?
Aplogoies for my ignorance, I don't know what's up with this stuff yet. Am I ok assuming the LG can take a fast charge on the road?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Told by who?
My regen is probably better then 50 kw, and I'm charging at 17kw with the Gen 3,72A charger.
So I would be interested in the source of this information.
Can you describe your set-up a little more? motor, controller, charger, battery configuration?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts