DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LIFEPO4 group purchase New info Please read.

Anyone interested in a group purchase of some lifepo4 100AH modules?
I have contact with the manufacturer and can get them for $200.00 each plus shipping. I'm waiting on the shipping quote to my business in Ohio and was given a 4-6 week lead time. These batteries are with out any kind of bms, so you will be on your own with that.
I'm not out to make money on these just trying to help out fellow EVers.
You can check my ebay feedback to see what I'm about. Same name there as here.:D

·
Registered
408 Posts
Anyone interested in a group purchase of some lifepo4 100AH modules?
I have contact with the manufacturer and can get them for $200.00 each plus shipping. I'm waiting on the shipping quote to my business in Ohio and was given a 4-6 week lead time. These batteries are with out any kind of bms, so you will be on your own with that.
I'm not out to make money on these just trying to help out fellow EVers.
You can check my ebay feedback to see what I'm about. Same name there as here.:D
Which manufacturer? Are they more reliable than TS? Do they come with BMS or do we need to go with an outside source?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which manufacturer? Are they more reliable than TS? Do they come with BMS or do we need to go with an outside source?
As stated you will need a bms. Can't speak to reliabilty, but the company assures me they want good customer relations. As with any battery you must care for it and not take it outside of its suggested parameters.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Do you have stats on the batteries? max charge/discharge, cycle life, shelf life?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you have stats on the batteries? max charge/discharge, cycle life, shelf life?
I will get that info posted as soon as possible.:D
Max discharge continuous:270amps
Max discharged pulsed: 450amps, I would imagine you could hit hard for 10-15 seconds with out any damage. I will try to find out more.
Max charge 30amps full charge in 4 hours
Energy density: 230-380 wh/l
Self discharge rate: <<3%/Month
Cycle life: 80%dod 2000, 70%dod 2500
Note this is for the 100AH module, other modules vary
Can get up to 800AH module!!
Limited 1 year warranty from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will get that info posted as soon as possible.:D
Max discharge continuous:270amps
Max discharged pulsed: 450amps, I would imagine you could hit hard for 10-15 seconds with out any damage. I will try to find out more.
Max charge 30amps full charge in 4 hours
Energy density: 230-380 wh/l
Self discharge rate: <<3%/Month
Cycle life: 80%dod 2000, 70%dod 2500
Note this is for the 100AH module, other modules vary
Can get up to 800AH module!!
Limited 1 year warranty from the manufacturer.
I will not be offering these modules as I have learned that they are not suited for traction applications.
I am waiting on a quote from a manufacturer of a cylindrical style similar to the lifebatt. Seen at lifebatt.com
I will update the thread as soon as I have info.:D

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
What makes them not suitable? They have the cycle life and current capabilities (albiet not as good as AG for peak current). Does the high discharge rate ruin the cycle life?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What makes them not suitable? They have the cycle life and current capabilities (albiet not as good as AG for peak current). Does the high discharge rate ruin the cycle life?
The high discharge shortens the life dramatically. :(
They recommend not pushing them past 3c, while the cylindrical can be hammered at up to 60c. Charging rates are similar, very low for prismatic, very high for the cylindrical. I don't pretend to understand why, I just know that is what all the testing by independent laboratories shows. If you want to try the modules I can order them, shipping is rather high and there is some customs charges that have to be covered but I will help you all I can.:)

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
3C is low but it isn't too bad. A 160Ah pack could get pretty close to 500A which is all most people need. Sure it wouldn't be great for drag racing but it may be cheaper to get higher capacity prismatic batteries rather than more expensive cylindrical style. I wonder what the ratios between current cost and capacity are like?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3C is low but it isn't too bad. A 160Ah pack could get pretty close to 500A which is all most people need. Sure it wouldn't be great for drag racing but it may be cheaper to get higher capacity prismatic batteries rather than more expensive cylindrical style. I wonder what the ratios between current cost and capacity are like?
True, a 160ah pack would do that but you could do the same thing with an 80ah cylindrical cell pack. Plus the cylindrical cell pack would give you a 10sec. burst of 60c.:eek: Even if their claims are high, which I doubt, look at what killacycle does with that tiny A123 pack, the advantages are clear. Plus they have a higher cycle life, upwards of 3000.
Not to mention higher charging rate so you can recharge in half the time.

The company I'm waiting on has a listed cost/ah of $2.54, which is half of what A123 wants. The prismatic modules are about $2.00/ah. They also have product on the shelf so they are easier to get, unlike a123.
Again as soon as I get a quote I'll let you all know.:)

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Me too... 60Ah * 60C = 3600Amps!!! lol that would make my 72V bike peak at ~260kW!!! if I could handle it somehow...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To all of those who are wanting to purchase, please let me know what your v and ah needs are. This will determine the # of cells required, which will give me an idea of how many to order.:)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Your new potential supplier is $254/cell... what is each cell's voltage?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your decimal point is in the wrong spot.:eek:
I'm estimating between$2.54 - $3.00 per AH per cell.
So a 3.3v 10ah cell might be $30.00
Everything is plus shipping.....
So my 330V at 120Ah string would be $36,000.00 plus shipping :eek::eek::eek: !!!

yikes...I knew I shoulda been a chemist. Guess that Sherman tank was a bad choice to convert...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Your decimal point is in the wrong spot.:eek:
I'm estimating between$2.54 - $3.00 per AH per cell.
So a 3.3v 10ah cell might be $30.00
Everything is plus shipping.....

Oh - I read the original 100AH post and assumed these were the same config ($2.54 * 100AH = $254)

1 - 20 of 179 Posts