DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again all! Kinda just remembered I wanted to do a build thread here! My fiance and I are converting a "bumper kart" using a combo of golf cart and older EV stuff picked up from offerup:
  • D&D (couldn't afford AD&D--haha...) ES 15-6 Series Wound
  • Alltrax AXE 48V 500A -- 72V is probably in the future if I know me...
  • 42 poorly matched SPIM08HPs and 4 of those 40V batteries with the A123-ANR26650M1A cells in them, which are worse.
Not promising we won't try out some different sprockets, but the intention is purely to do burnouts with it at car shows (and maybe the street in front of my house!!!)

We used one of those 40V batteries (haven't yet mentioned the charger made from a computer PSU and DC/DC from amazon...) to do some bench testing, but they're in rough shape. Fiance wants to tear them down and do some salvage so we can build a real pack or two that will hold up to what we're planning. At the very least, we need to be able to spin the tires (going to run "duallies" in the back for double the rubber) long enough to be able to pop them. Hoping to have enough juice left over for some lights and noisemakers, though. We have about 10 (so far) of the LED lights you get for free at Harbor Freight to make a flashing light bar. Maybe an open loop battery cooling system to run a steam whistle? Run an air compressor from the axle for train horns?

We've done a couple videos on it so far--making a motor mount plate using a 4" hole saw and the initial bolting up and wiring. After a little drama with the reversing switch, it all tested ok. That'll be in the third video I guess?

Anyway, here's a link if anyone has 15 minutes to kill: Motor assembly pt 1 of 2

Happy weekend!
-Angus
Vehicle Auto part Chassis Car Machine Machine tool Toolroom Engine Auto part

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Made a bit more progress on this last week and test fitted motor assembly in the kart. Need to do some work on sprocket alignment and chain tension, add brakes, figure out a battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts