DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my lithium batteries today. 125 of the suckers. 100 ah HiPowers for a price I could not refuse. Building two or three packs for my Bus. Three 120 volt or two 156 volt packs. Enough to allow me to have high voltage and lower amperage usage. I am leaning more towards the dual 156 volt pack. The HiPower batteries are not as high on the C discharge list as are TS or CALB but by doubling up the pack I can improve my AH and total amp draw to keep the batteries alive. Most are balanced already but a few are going to need to be brought into the fold. I will be balancing the ones that need it to match what I already have. No BMS but I will monitor the voltage of the packs and I'd like to find a good AH in AH out meter that will show and log my usage. One that will save the information for later retrieval and if the power is shut off in the evening after all the drives and after the charge is done. I will be getting the fuel gauge hardware to utilize my stock fuel gauge as a SOC meter. :)

I want no parasitic loads on my pack once I have fully charged my pack.

Pete :)

http://greenev.zapto.org/63ev/63_EV/Lithium.html

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'll look forward to reading how it goes.

How do you know they do less current, have you done tests? Thanks for any info.
Got my lithium batteries today. 125 of the suckers. 100 ah HiPowers for a price I could not refuse. Building two or three packs for my Bus. Three 120 volt or two 156 volt packs. Enough to allow me to have high voltage and lower amperage usage. I am leaning more towards the dual 156 volt pack. The HiPower batteries are not as high on the C discharge list as are TS or CALB but by doubling up the pack I can improve my AH and total amp draw to keep the batteries alive. Most are balanced already but a few are going to need to be brought into the fold. I will be balancing the ones that need it to match what I already have. No BMS but I will monitor the voltage of the packs and I'd like to find a good AH in AH out meter that will show and log my usage. One that will save the information for later retrieval and if the power is shut off in the evening after all the drives and after the charge is done. I will be getting the fuel gauge hardware to utilize my stock fuel gauge as a SOC meter. :)

I want no parasitic loads on my pack once I have fully charged my pack.

http://greenev.zapto.org/63ev/63_EV/Lithium.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
96 Batteries are sitting at 3.31. I had one at .76 and have charged it up to 3.3 volts. It took some time but I expected that at about 5 amps. That low battery was one of the extra free batteries I was given to play with. I have 7 batteries that had been overcharged and bloated a tad. This low one was from that batch. I wanted to see if my military charger would charge the battery if I kept an eye on things so it would not go above the factory rated 3.8 volts. So far so good. I have no way to test discharge. What can I put on the battery to discharge it and recharge it again. I want to see how long it will take to discharge at a given resistance to have a good idea if its performing reasonable. I am going to use these batteries for my Cushman Truckster. I do not need full capacity and I have enough extra batteries to make a nice little pack for the Truckster. I also picked up that nice SepEx controller and monitor to use with the Trucksters new D&D SepEx motor. It will be perfect for that project. I won't be doing much with that one for awhile.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I thought HI Power stopped selling batteries or in the US at least. I liked what I read about this companies batteries, spec wise.

What did this set you back $ wise if you don't' mind? I've got 6500 miles on my lead pack. Not sure how long they will last but I think I've got a bout 12000 or so more before they're history.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
http://www.evequipmentsupply.com sells them. I bought some from them myself to test them.
I thought HI Power stopped selling batteries or in the US at least. I liked what I read about this companies batteries, spec wise.

What did this set you back $ wise if you don't' mind? I've got 6500 miles on my lead pack. Not sure how long they will last but I think I've got a bout 12000 or so more before they're history.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, you can still buy them new. The folks I got them from build electric quads. They use Hi-Power cells. I will keep my cost under wraps for now. I can assure you it was quite good. What I have is enough to build three 100 ah packs at 120 volts and have a few left over for good measure.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
IDK what I'll do. I'm not going to sink 11000 dollars in a 200ah pack. That's just not justifiable to me. I've put 6500 miles on my truck and saved about $1100 on my lead pack.

After taxes and insurance, I've saved about $50 and that doesn't take in to account one battery I replaced or that would be a $50 loss! Though I'm saving more now, about .17 a mile, 35/month due to higher fuel prices. That makes for about $500/year, hardly the $2500 I was estimating! Part of that though is diesel is only $3 gal, not the $4 I based it on. That will get me to about $1000 a year savings, still way below $2500.

I have to have a vehicle to go long distances and pull equipment so this is an extra truck. Right now it's not possible or practical to build an electric truck to replace all the ability of that diesel.

Granted I'm very proud of driving and not polluting but I way over estimated my savings on this thing.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hey tell us about the fuel gauge hardware to use your existing fuel gauge! I missed that last time i read your first post.

And do you have info on this battery? I'm looking to build a 144-150V pack with 100-130ah cells. Info I'm referring to is life cycles and recommended discharge current.

Normal driving for my S10 would require probably 70-100A and 200-300 on acceleration. I'm concerned that with approaching 1C continuously on discharge I would only get maybe 50-75000 miles off the pack, hardly worth $6100+tax that I've found for 45 100ah cells. Need a little more experience feedback from those who've accumulated some miles on their pack.

·
Registered
143 Posts
And do you have info on this battery? I'm looking to build a 144-150V pack with 100-130ah cells. Info I'm referring to is life cycles and recommended discharge current.

Normal driving for my S10 would require probably 70-100A and 200-300 on acceleration. I'm concerned that with approaching 1C continuously on discharge I would only get maybe 50-75000 miles off the pack, hardly worth $6100+tax that I've found for 45 100ah cells. Need a little more experience feedback from those who've accumulated some miles on their pack.
You are reading my mind!!! :rolleyes: PLUS cold or heat (I am in S.Florida ~111F) will kill AH...
That why I have started this thread... :D http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/lithium-battery-compared-thunder-sky-calib-52817.html :D

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I watched "The Video" on Lifepo4 battery technology last night. The most awesome and informal video on these batteries I've. If you want to know about this technology and how to handle it, it is a Must See! So much so I'm posting a link for it below.

If you're planning on using these batteries, I feel the video will answer questions you've never even thought of and will end hours of pouring over this forum on your Easter egg hunt for data. Seriously!

It is by a professor, young guy who worked with li technology for years, worked at JPL etc.

http://www.ri.cmu.edu/video_view.html?video_id=60&menu_id=387

1 - 10 of 10 Posts