DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just got my 120V 160Ah Winston LiPoY cells in. I had bought a couple of realy inexpensive zener type ballancers , that start bypassing a cell when getting over 3.6V, to test them. But is this enough?
Having only expeience charging Lead batteries, I wonder what charger I should use to charge the pack savely.
I used constant voltage on my leadbattery with a shutoff reaching a preset voltage.
LiPoY factory instructions read first a constant current at .1 -.5 ca and reaching 4V slow constant volts until current drops 1%.
I guess if charge end is set at 4V it`l be fine too.
What equippment does such a charging? Savely and costefficiently?
I`d appreciate some opinions, do I really need eqippment for over 2.5 grand?
Thanks ahead,
:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I bought those inexpensive zener ballancer (under 2$ per piece) I had also bought a gadget called CellLog, a whatch sized logger for 8 cells, that`s eqipped with a sensitive adc on a 4 digit volt display, multiplexed for 8 channels.
It`s designed for RC model tinkering, but incorporates a the main funktions of a battery management system, like Overvoltage, accuracy 2 decimals, undervoltage and 2 more features, that are all triggering a single alarm, consisting of an open collector capable of grounding <50V, 50mA.
The whole thing costs around 40$, and I`d need 5 of those for my 40 cell pack. 200 $ trigger anytime any cell goes undervoltage, anytime any cell goes OV. And have the cell data logged if I ever needed it.
So for less than 200$ I could have the safety of whatching all cells at all time just a lot of wiring and connectzors to be soldered.

All I need is a constant current charger and a disconnector relay.

What do you think?:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.