DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,773 Posts
Solar- That's a really good idea for them if I can't use them for an EV. I just can't afford the solar panels, and build the EV. Also, I don't own a house at the moment.
Well if you cannot afford to pay for the panels, you cannot afford to replace batteries every 3 to 5 years either. Off grid solar will cost you 10 times more than buying the power. And if in Canada, even higher.

· Registered
1,773 Posts
They are 650AH batteries. I've got pictures I just need to download them off my camera.
I have serious doubts about that. FLA batteries energy density are around 30 to 50 wh/kg. So how much does each battery weigh? 32 volt @ 650 AH they would have to weigh at least 420 Kg or 920 pounds each @ at the extreme high end of energy density of 50 wh/kg.

I believe you said they weigh 325 pounds each or 147 Kg. If they are 32 volt @ 650 AH would be a density of 140 wh/kg. So you are telling us a FLA has a higher energy density than LFP of 100 wh/kg? I seriously doubt that.

I am familiar with RR 32 volt batteries and Rolls Surrette makes a 32 volt 660 AH battery but it weighs in at 1240 pounds or 37 wh/kg. You must be seriously mistaken with either the weight or AH capacity

· Registered
1,773 Posts
I could very well be wrong on weight and Ah.
I was not trying to be hard on you, at least not too hard :D But something just did not add up. The absolute best energy density by weight for lead acid batteries is around 50 wh/kg and that is for AGM types not FLA. FLA is more like 35 to 40 wh/kg. That is one of the reasons why they suk for EV applications. At 325 pounds for a 32 volt battery I would expect something on the order of 130 to 160 AH at best. It is just not possible to have a density of 140 wh/kg with any lead acid battery. Heck it is a stretch for any lithium to have that high of a density except for like Cobalt.

Honestly I give you the benefit of a doubt because I know they make 32 volt RR batteries in that high AH rating and even higher. But the one I linked to made by Surrette is 660 AH @ the 20 hour discharge rate and that thing weighs 1240 pound wet. So I hope you understand why I brought it to you attention

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.