DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
I found non ( no ul cert)grid tie pannels thin film , for $.99/watt 1400 watts will get 10,000 miles/year with out losses. used forklift batteries , big ups batteries used , used ups sine wave inverter 3to 5kw $200 , new charge controller $500 (Outback). 1400 watts/hr.X5.9 hours / day avarge (north cal ) X 280 days per year = 2,312,800 watt hrs. / year ( 2.3 mega watts/year)
*cough* mWh/year *cough*

· Registered
1,467 Posts
I have serious doubts about that. FLA batteries energy density are around 30 to 50 wh/kg. So how much does each battery weigh? 32 volt @ 650 AH they would have to weigh at least 420 Kg or 920 pounds each @ at the extreme high end of energy density of 50 wh/kg.

I believe you said they weigh 325 pounds each or 147 Kg. If they are 32 volt @ 650 AH would be a density of 140 wh/kg. So you are telling us a FLA has a higher energy density than LFP of 100 wh/kg? I seriously doubt that.

I am familiar with RR 32 volt batteries and Rolls Surrette makes a 32 volt 660 AH battery but it weighs in at 1240 pounds or 37 wh/kg. You must be seriously mistaken with either the weight or AH capacity
how many cells / battery ? 6 cells= 12 volts I have a old forklift battery 2000+ lbs , 24 volts , 2000 amp hr. 48kwh if new ( or .048 mega watts LOL)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I could very well be wrong on weight and Ah. I was looking at the label through a vent hole in the battery box (haven't pulled any out yet) and I saw 650, next to a Ah.I suppose they may weigh 650, and have some different Ah. I will pull one tonight and get some really good pictures and such.

· Registered
109 Posts
haven't worked with megs before : 1,000,000 watts = 1 mega watt . 20 times better batteries and we will be carrying megs in our cars and my diesel pickup carries about .9 mega watt hr. of output . 80 gallons x 15 hp/ gallon (net ) or 2.7 megs gross .
I'm just teasing. :D You dropped hours in the last part of your post for some reason.
2,312,800 watt hrs. / year ( 2.3 mega watts/year)

· Registered
1,773 Posts
I could very well be wrong on weight and Ah.
I was not trying to be hard on you, at least not too hard :D But something just did not add up. The absolute best energy density by weight for lead acid batteries is around 50 wh/kg and that is for AGM types not FLA. FLA is more like 35 to 40 wh/kg. That is one of the reasons why they suk for EV applications. At 325 pounds for a 32 volt battery I would expect something on the order of 130 to 160 AH at best. It is just not possible to have a density of 140 wh/kg with any lead acid battery. Heck it is a stretch for any lithium to have that high of a density except for like Cobalt.

Honestly I give you the benefit of a doubt because I know they make 32 volt RR batteries in that high AH rating and even higher. But the one I linked to made by Surrette is 660 AH @ the 20 hour discharge rate and that thing weighs 1240 pound wet. So I hope you understand why I brought it to you attention

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.