DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm having a hard time finding this online or scrubbing the forums, but it could just be that it's because Volt is the most used word in the history of electric vehicles! Slightly gets in the way when searching sometimes! (thanks Chevy)

Question of the day - how many bms connections are required for a 48v gen1 Chevy Volt module? And the 24v as well? That is, if you're linking using the stock harness connections. Anyone with intimate knowledge of the pack know that off hand? It seems 36 and 18 but I'm wanting to confirm there's nothing special going on. I see pinouts diagrammed out there but it's a little hard to parse.

Bottom line - I'm wanting to use an Orion BMS 2 when upgrading my old AGM setup with lithium, and trying to get a handle on what's required to pair with a salvage pack. (not even 100% sure I can use the stock harness, just assuming/hoping)

Checking my logic since I'm honing in on a purchase here - I'm targeting 144v total nominal, but could go as low as 120v or as high as 156v without swapping any major components.

That said, I should probably pitch the hive on battery requirements in the same breath. Seems a full gen1 Leaf pack most easily parallels down to ~120v, basically... 3 parallel strings - excuse me if I'm expressing this wrong, but 16s3p, yeah?

From what I understand from skimming the docs, the Orion connects twice per module, so 96 connections total. I'm a little confused at how the bms connects to a batch of 3 modules in parallel - it's in the docs but I'm still trying to make sense of it and what it would total out to connection wise. hmmm.

If I go the Volt route, it seems the choice with paralleling in this way would drop me to 128v, since I can't handle 192v. Or... it seems if add another G1 48v/4kwh module to bump to 20kwh total, then the 432v total would break down to 144v when paralelling. Right? ;)

Side question on that note, for any with Volt experience - how hard/risky is it to try to find another 4kw pack with as many "miles" as a full pack purchase - easy? hard? impossible? I would think if a salvage pack has, say, 30k on it, that you could find another module from a pack with roughly the same miles and it wouldn't be wildly different and could be capacity tested to verify. Adding another module that's "pretty close" is reasonable to think I could pull off, yeah? In theory?

Thanks in advance - hoping to get it sorted to where I can start shopping! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have no experience with the cells/packs you are discussing(slight with the Leaf cells), but I do have a bit of experience with the Orion. I'm currently integrating one into a Gen1 Honda Insight, using Honda Fit LTO packs. It is all strictly 72S. It is a popular conversion in our crowd.

There are some words on using the Orion with parallel configurations, starting p51 of this document:

https://www.orionbms.com/manuals/pdf/orionbms2_wiring_manual.pdf

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that link - that's a much more clear diagram and explaination than the abbreviated version in the Leaf cell doc they have here:
...but it could just be that reading through it a second time made it gel.

I'll keep thinking on this and try to dig up some more info on the Volt modules, and how the BMS would work if paralelling at the module level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts