DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Impressive numbers...enough to be suspiscious...

I suppose everyone else who has tried making a 5:4 HP:LBS ratio motor has been silenced before they made it to market?

"Yuneec is a young, progressive, forward thinking company"

I usually read that as "inexperienced, buzzword-filled, imaginative"

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Humm!!... Curiously interesting!!

Motor spec = 1.2 to 1.5 HP per lbs peak..... Good ratio!
And in a realistic voltage range (- 200v)

But the RPM seem low for that much power!! 180 lbs-ft for an 11 diameter motor with REALLY short lenght (8.25")?????

Anyway, I need two... what is the price?...:D

·
Registered
290 Posts
4 of those (1 per wheel), each running through a 4:3 reduction gearbox (a planetary unit on the end, perhaps, if length is an issue) would give a total of 324HP and a top speed of roughly 96MPH (155 KPH). Not too bad, but I'm not seeing a torque figure, and seeing as these motors are meant to drive propellers (and so not having much in the way of drag) that could be quite the limiting factor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Humm!!... Curiously interesting!!

Motor spec = 1.2 to 1.5 HP per lbs peak..... Good ratio!
And in a realistic voltage range (- 200v)

But the RPM seem low for that much power!! 180 lbs-ft for an 11 diameter motor with REALLY short lenght (8.25")?????

Anyway, I need two... what is the price?...:D
I emailed him, I will let you know...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
4 of those (1 per wheel), each running through a 4:3 reduction gearbox (a planetary unit on the end, perhaps, if length is an issue) would give a total of 324HP and a top speed of roughly 96MPH (155 KPH). Not too bad, but I'm not seeing a torque figure, and seeing as these motors are meant to drive propellers (and so not having much in the way of drag) that could be quite the limiting factor.
Propellers are a never unloaded . air or water they work much harder then a auto .

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Not too bad, but I'm not seeing a torque figure, and seeing as these motors are meant to drive propellers (and so not having much in the way of drag) that could be quite the limiting factor.
The 60kW version says 2400 rpm, so the torque = 60,000/(2400*2pi/60) = 238 N-m, or 175 Lb-ft.

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Well, assuming that same 4:3 ratio gearbox you'd have 233 lb-ft, with one on each wheel making a total of 933 lb-ft of torque.

Given that a 2011 Mustang with it's V6 engine gets 280 lb-ft, one wheel is pretty much comparable. So that's very good indeed.

Don't forget.... the 280 lbs-ft of the Mustang motor need to be multiply by the first gear ratio and the rear diferrential ratio..... 280 x 10 (around) = 2800 lbs at the two rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
For what it is worth the copywrite on that page is 2008. I think we would have heard more about them in a two year time span.

There are othe sources for these type motors though. There are planes flying with electric motors. There are a couple of you tube videos on them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I could call them I guess. Some companies do not answer emails. From what I understand a light plane is scheduled for production with these motors that will be used for flight training. I remember when I first learned to fly as a teenager it took most of my money to pay for a couple of hours each month. I can see how electric would cut down on that some but not much really.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I believe the company is genuine – if you do a youtube search for Yuneec there are several videos showing various motors on test in paragliders and light aircraft.

There's a company in Slovenia that produces similar motors. They look to have great potential, but getting hold of a suitable brushless controller appears difficult. They're supplied by another company that doesn't seem keen to sell on a one-off basis.
http://www.enstroj.si/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts