DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just joined this forum, 1st post

My application is NOT an EV. I am designing/building a large industrial machine that needs a powerful, compact, and self contained prime mover (ie motor). I need it in the ballpark of 100kW continuous power. EV motor and battery seems like an obvious fit. Traditionally, the kind of machine I am designing runs on a large vaned air motor...but I am stepping up the size and power a bit, and air motors just aren't practical or even available in that kind of size.

I have contact with and leads on a few motor suppliers already, including TM4, YASA and UQM. Are there any other players I should be looking at? I need a supplier that is willing to share dyno data of their motors with me, and sell me onesie-twosie quantities of motors and inverters.

I have had no success finding battery pack suppliers. I don't want to build my own pack from component parts. I want all the safeties and cooling systems already present. The motors I'm looking at vary from 400-750V range. I have no prior technical experience with large battery packs. I have done quite a bit of work in the past with small battery pack for power tools...but I don't know what the EV battery landscape looks like. For instance, do they come in different flavors depending on what your motor voltage is?...or is there a common pack voltage that gets stepped up in a transformer?

Budget is not really a factor. This is sort of a tech startup company...we are not looking for cheap. Duty cycle for the battery will be about 50% (15-30 sec on followed by a similar period of rest) It will not be peak power the whole time...probably 60% max ramping up to peak through the on cycle. Will be looking to get at least a few hundred of those cycles on a charge.

I saw some old posts on this sub forum of similar requests, with not alot of lists of suppliers. I really appreciate the help, thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
so 60kW, 50% duty cycle is 30kW per hour.

LFP for longevity, call it 90 Wh/kg.

So with some infrastructure, conservative weight of the bank is 350kg per hour of runtime between recharging.

Have I got that right?

Personally, if you really can't just get a very long extension cord, I think best to get a trailer-mounted diesel genset with a big fuel tank.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's really the chemistry and package you are looking at, and that choice will determine active or passive cooling. Without a doubt the EV world is the most advanced in both chemistry and packaging. For active cooling and 400v the model 3 complete battery pack is arguably the best format for simplicity as you can route any coolant/heat system and its packaged with contactors and fused and prewired with a BMS thats hackable along with an available 72 Amp charger. So temperature and availability it stands out.
Passive cooled the Bolt battery also stands out, it comes in the proven chemistry (NMC622) that is used by many other companies but has slightly more available power and uses the volt BMS which once again is already hacked so its available to be used as a stand alone system. Both are a little scarce as they are in the case of the Bolt, relatively new, and the Tesla, prohibitively expensive for DIY use, especially if you plan on using 2 packs. The 57Kw Bolt battery I have seen as little as $3k but expect to pay $4-5k. the model 3 75Kw is available around the $12-15k.
There are better options for available power or should I say higher discharge levels but for density and availability those 2 would be my 2 choices, i'm sure others would disagree though

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It seems like you're not looking for a hack or a DIY at all. You're not looking to pull a used pack out of a vehicle and then rig it up yourself and all that, right?

You're asking where to order a finished system that has some respectable liability all on its own that just shows up ready to plug and play?

More or less, you want a Powerwall.

Batteries seem to be a bottleneck for production, or nearly so, so I don't think EV batteries are being sold anywhere other than inside a vehicle at the moment.

There are probably backup or offgrid power companies out there that would fill this need, though I can't off the top of my head recommend any. Your needs are atypical for offgrid, as you're looking at massive surge abilities rather than the relatively trickling needs you'd see in homes and such.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi, we at EVDrive make custom battery systems and may have options for the rest of the system as well. You can PM me if you want to discuss further.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I do custom battery packs too, but I'm not cheap and I'm probably a long way away from you (Perth, Australia).

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
... Duty cycle for the battery will be about 50% (15-30 sec on followed by a similar period of rest) It will not be peak power the whole time...probably 60% max ramping up to peak through the on cycle. Will be looking to get at least a few hundred of those cycles on a charge.
What is the torque and speed, and acceleration required for the motor?

Does it need to reverse direction during a cycle?

Is Closed loop position, or speed, or torque, or current control required?

Is there a ramp-down from the peak or is power just cut suddenly?

What is the peak power level and the max power level, and how did you come up with 100kW continuous?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts