DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

As the title says, I am looking for an EV mechanic that is able and has experience in converting standard vehicles to EV.
please pm me with some info. about yourself and lets see where it can go from there.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
bumping this thread
you have certainly come to the right place to find a bunch of people that have converted vehicles.... I would suggest checking out the Gallery, a few build threads to find a couple candidates who have executed something similar to what you have in mind.

It would help if you disclose a little more about what city you are in, what kind of pay structure you have in mind, etc.

I think many of us started our projects hoping to start a small local business, but quickly found that *most* people are not willing to buy an EV with less than 150 mile range, even though most multi-car families could get by with less than 50 for their in town commuter.

The hard truth is that a DIY EV has proven very hard to re-sell... Recent sales have shown that even really nice conversions have sold for less than parts costs. Not a great business plan. ;(

I think we have all found that the general public admires a nice EV, thinks it is cool, but won't buy it... The other problem is that banks won't finance them with regular auto loans because they can't set a value on them, meaning that most people have to consider an unsecured line of credit at 5-6% or pay cash.

Anyway..... good luck!

It might help to post a few more details about where you are and what your job offer is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you have certainly come to the right place to find a bunch of people that have converted vehicles.... I would suggest checking out the Gallery, a few build threads to find a couple candidates who have executed something similar to what you have in mind.

It would help if you disclose a little more about what city you are in, what kind of pay structure you have in mind, etc.

I think many of us started our projects hoping to start a small local business, but quickly found that *most* people are not willing to buy an EV with less than 150 mile range, even though most multi-car families could get by with less than 50 for their in town commuter.

The hard truth is that a DIY EV has proven very hard to re-sell... Recent sales have shown that even really nice conversions have sold for less than parts costs. Not a great business plan. ;(

I think we have all found that the general public admires a nice EV, thinks it is cool, but won't buy it... The other problem is that banks won't finance them with regular auto loans because they can't set a value on them, meaning that most people have to consider an unsecured line of credit at 5-6% or pay cash.

Anyway..... good luck!

It might help to post a few more details about where you are and what your job offer is.
Hey.
thanks for your input.
We are located in Israel and looking to import converted Classic/vintage cars for some selected customers. not the general public. a plan is already in place and we are willing to try with one car first and see how it goes.
it makes sense that its not economical in the US, your gas is practically for free. but this is not the case for other countries

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that.
the only problem with Europe is the prices. it's expensive to get a car there and I'm not sure the workmanship is cheaper than in the US . thus my first pick would be someone from the states but I will send them a message as well.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You could contact Anne from NewElectric in the Netherlands, they've done a lot of cars (and boats allready.)
I'd second that recommendation and add Mike from Indra;

http://www.indra.co.uk

I'd be careful with the US companies... they have great people but some of the laxest conversion requirements in the world... if you need EMC or Safety standards compliance then European based manufacturers are probably more used to meeting them :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts