DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched a few companies that build large EV motors for heavy trucks. My fleet of Internationals are over 31,000 pounds per truck. I have found a few, but, still completing DD. Does anyone have any names?

I want to convert one of my 24' moving trucks into an electric truck. One of my trucks is an old 1995 International 4700 that we use for local moves only, would love to be the first Connecticut trucking company using all electric motors.

I was the first CT Trucking company to use biodiesel years ago, now its time for the EV moving truck. It will be costly, but, the PR would be worth the investment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for very large DC motors (larger than 13") that can bolt to my International bellhousing. I will contact Netgain, but, not sure they produce a larger motor. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Your best bet is to source the Motor/gearbox out of an electric trolley bus. Hardest part will probably be finding a modern controller that can handle that sort of voltage, if such a beast does not come with the trolley motor. My understanding of trolley buses is that they are designed to run on 600VDC from overhead wires, so it should be feasible to use a 600V battery instead. 600VDC, 200AH (minimum!) of lithium ought to not weigh that terrible much for a 15 ton truck.

Hope you can budget hi 5 figures / low 6 figures for this conversion. The battery will be most of that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm thinking Grumman American, MTC or perhaps Siemens for the power train. diesel electrics are common as dirt in the transpo field. Ask Major since he did some stuff.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Geesh.. I knew that would happen. .. We scrapped some very large DC motors. I could have gotten you one for very little. :confused: I'll see what is left at the plant. There may be some large Sep-ex motors... I've heard of them being used in trucks. I think...there is a company out west that makes them...

What are you looking for?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts