DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are a new EV blog, with a focus on conversions! With that, we need awesome conversions like yours to feature on our site! We will ask you a few questions about your build, ask for some photos and do all the rest! Personal or professional, any type of vehicle, if its been converted we want to feature it! See other articles on Facebook or our website :
FB: https://www.facebook.com/TheElectricSpeedShop

message on FB or twitter for the fastest response!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looking over your website, none of your Q&A or News is viewable, Im locked out of your Google Docs due to permissions issue. not a great start.

Is it just me , or others .

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Looking over your website, none of your Q&A or News is viewable, Im locked out of your Google Docs due to permissions issue. not a great start.

Is it just me , or others .
It's not just you, and it's not just those sections - even the blog is a series of unavailable entries. I'm usually signed into a Google account, and that account doesn't have required permissions for those documents, either. I couldn't be bothered to sign out of my Google account just to test someone else's website, but I suspect that being anonymous (not signed into any Google account) would not improve access.

I do sympathize with the challenges that businesses have navigating information technology, but when your only business is re-publishing content, you really need to put some effort into the technical details, and take the time to test the result. In this case the website is a Google Site, so it's all Google technology, and successfully publishing to the public should just be a matter of reading the documentation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not just you, and it's not just those sections - even the blog is a series of unavailable entries. I'm usually signed into a Google account, and that account doesn't have required permissions for those documents, either. I couldn't be bothered to sign out of my Google account just to test someone else's website, but I suspect that being anonymous (not signed into any Google account) would not improve access.

I do sympathize with the challenges that businesses have navigating information technology, but when your only business is re-publishing content, you really need to put some effort into the technical details, and take the time to test the result. In this case the website is a Google Site, so it's all Google technology, and successfully publishing to the public should just be a matter of reading the documentation.
Sorry guys! Guess we pre-maturely posted the link! Everything is fixed now (at least it should be), regardless of if you are signed into a google account or not! Please let us know and thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are on your phone or other mobile device? We are working on how make the mobile layout more reader friendly. PC, laptop or tablet should be more easily readable.

Again, we are new and have been primarily operating on FB and twitter up until this point. Appreciate the feedback and we are learning as we go!

Hopefully the content is more enjoyable for you than the layout as that is what we are hoping to provide. Anyone want to have a featured article with your build?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Sorry guys! Guess we pre-maturely posted the link! Everything is fixed now (at least it should be), regardless of if you are signed into a google account or not! Please let us know and thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!
Okay, the document thumbnails are no longer just access error messages. :)

Are on your phone or other mobile device? We are working on how make the mobile layout more reader friendly. PC, laptop or tablet should be more easily readable.
It works on both.

In Chrome on a PC, I'm seeing the item contents in scrolling windows. This works, but seems awkward - I wouldn't be interested in reading the longer articles this way. Opening them in a separate Google Docs window works well... but that isn't offered in MS Edge. So I'm fine with it, but many potential readers might not be.

On an Android phone, as usual a mobile view is triggered, which basically means that the menu bar disappears and the menu button is large... just as intended :). The items are thumbnails, so they need to tapped to open in Google Docs... but when they open they are just blank pages. :confused: This isn't a problem with Google Docs on my phone - I use it every day for my own documents.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
should be fixed on mobile now! Had to adjust the document type! Appreciate the feedback.

Agree the site is not 100% smooth, but it's what we are working with right now. Hopefully we are able to upgrade in the near future!

Now back to the important question, anyone want to volunteer their DIY EV for a feature article?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
should be fixed on mobile now! Had to adjust the document type! Appreciate the feedback.
Yes, the Google Docs work on Android now. :)

Agree the site is not 100% smooth, but it's what we are working with right now. Hopefully we are able to upgrade in the near future!
I sincerely hope that instead of jumping some other random website service that you just take the time to properly set up what you have. It doesn't need anything fancy, but it needs to be clear and easy to read to be worth the reader's time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sincerely hope that instead of jumping some other random website service that you just take the time to properly set up what you have. It doesn't need anything fancy, but it needs to be clear and easy to read to be worth the reader's time.
That is the plan. Hopefully combined with Facebook and Twitter it won't be too much of an issue. Also the content of the posts should be a factor in keeping people interested enough that they can look past the growing pains.

Brian - do you have a converted EV? Looking at the threads it doesn't seem so, but if you do we would love to feature your build!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking forward to following your blog over time!

Is there any chance you might make the blog user-friendly for those of us on mac computers? Currently it's not at all easy to browse through, not sure why, I use the native browser Safari.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Hopefully combined with Facebook and Twitter it won't be too much of an issue. Also the content of the posts should be a factor in keeping people interested enough that they can look past the growing pains.
There is an infinite amount on content on the web. Content which is not organized and which is difficult to see isn't much of a draw, no matter how good it is. Content which requires a reader to use multiple platforms to find it is even worse.

Brian - do you have a converted EV? Looking at the threads it doesn't seem so, but if you do we would love to feature your build!
No. I joined the forum while investigating a potential conversion of our Triumph Spitfire, which turns out to be not worth doing for me at this time. I would refer you to the interesting Spitfire conversions which have been done, but the most convenient place for that would be in this forums "Garage", which has not been functional since the current forum operators broke it (and have little interest in fixing it).

Most members don't have a conversion project. Most conversion projects are never completed. Most completed conversions are not very noteworthy. Still, out of thousands of people there are still many good subjects for your blog. I suggest looking at the threads in this forum category, looking for ones which have many posts (at least dozens, usually hundreds - because shorter ones are likely to be incomplete or at least uninteresting) and run for a long time. Skip to near the end of each to find the ones which resulted in an interesting vehicle.

You could also look at the several relevant Facebook groups for candidates. There is zero value in just reposting stuff from Facebook, but some projects are worth a more in-depth and coherent treatment than a series of Facebook posts.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Is there any chance you might make the blog user-friendly for those of us on mac computers? Currently it's not at all easy to browse through, not sure why, I use the native browser Safari.
It's a Google site. I haven't looked at it on our Mac, but I assume that it would work much better if you just use Chrome (Google's browser, available for Mac) rather than Safari.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's a Google site. I haven't looked at it on our Mac, but I assume that it would work much better if you just use Chrome (Google's browser, available for Mac) rather than Safari.
OK I tried that, same in Chrome as Safari, so it's me. I'm not used to navigating this page within a page thing, every time I see it I find it frustrating. I guess I just need to get used to it if I want to read blogs built like that.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
OK I tried that, same in Chrome as Safari, so it's me.
It might still not be you. While Chrome is a better bet, this site still requires the browser to display Google Docs, and that might not be straightforward on a Mac even in Chrome. I have shared Google spreadsheets with Mac and iPhone users and it works, but it might not work smoothly because of the way the Docs are presented in the website.

I'm not used to navigating this page within a page thing, every time I see it I find it frustrating. I guess I just need to get used to it if I want to read blogs built like that.
It could be that the site is working as intended for you; I find the layout awkward, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts