DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for exact dimensions of a Tesla 85kw battery pack. I see that Jack has the rough dimensions on his site but I am hoping to find more detailed information. This is what Jack provided on his website. http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=TeslaModelSPack

I am planning on building an aluminum trailer and I need to know what size to make the frame so I can bolt the battery to the bottom side of the trailer. I dont own a 85kw pack yet so I am also in the market for one of those as well. Let me know if you see one for sale.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Im sure someone here has one laying in their garage right now. lol

I want to order my trailer but I need to know the dimensions of the battery.

Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
We just had one delivered (minus the cells) to our workshop. I don't have the exact dimensions, but the battery *just* fits in the tray of an F250 trayback pickup truck. I think it's 2.4 m long and 1.4 m wide.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am more looking for the dimensions of the mounting lip. My plan is to build an aluminum frame and bolt the battery to the frame.

Thank you. Just need a little more info if you have the time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure - I'm back at work on Tuesday so give me a reminder and I can measure it when I get in. You want measurements from the boltholes around the edge?
Yes please! Just need to know what size frame to build for starters. Picture a frame all around it then a diamond pattern wire mesh over top of it. I am searching for a good price on a good tesla pack but I want to start getting quotes and put an order in on the trailer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So the whole thing is 2670 mm long and 1540 mm wide (a colleague needed the pen before I got a chance to write the width down).

I didn't measure these with a CNC or anything, but hopefully this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the whole thing is 2670 mm long and 1540 mm wide (a colleague needed the pen before I got a chance to write the width down).

I didn't measure these with a CNC or anything, but hopefully this helps.
Thank you! Are those numbers including the mounting flange on the sides? I want to build a frame and mount the back to the frame. But I need to know what size the frame needs to be in order for the pack to bolt to it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thank you! Are those numbers including the mounting flange on the sides? I want to build a frame and mount the back to the frame. But I need to know what size the frame needs to be in order for the pack to bolt to it.
All those dimensions are to the inside of the ~35 mm flange. If you build a frame with a vacant rectangle of these dimensions, it will be a snug fit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All those dimensions are to the inside of the ~35 mm flange. If you build a frame with a vacant rectangle of these dimensions, it will be a snug fit.
So if I made a frame that was 2670 mm long and 1540 mm wide it would drop right in and bolt to the frame?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes - if the inside of said rectangular frame was 2670 mm long and 1540 mm wide, it should lower neatly inside it and be supported by the rails. If it's a bit of a loose fit you can always weld flat bar down the edge to make it snug.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes - if the inside of said rectangular frame was 2670 mm long and 1540 mm wide, it should lower neatly inside it and be supported by the rails. If it's a bit of a loose fit you can always weld flat bar down the edge to make it snug.
Awesome! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put this together for everyone. Enjoy

If you find any of the measurements to be off let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts