DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Looking for pro conversion in Vancouver lowermainland

644 Views 12 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  woodennickel
Looking for a professional conversion shop in Vancouver lower mainland, fraser valley. Not a fancy car situation, but a work van. So far not finding what i need on Google.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8,499 Posts
CanEV has been in the business of supplying conversion components, doing conversions, and selling EVs for industrial use for many years. They're on Vancouver Island, but they might be supplying a conversion shop that they could refer you to in the lower mainland - you could ask them.

This is not a recommendation for CanEV - I've never dealt with them - but just an idea for an information source.

· Registered
5,324 Posts
A work van?

You don't seem to realize that having a shop convert a vehicle will likely cost you more than a brand new F150 Lightning, and will probably have similar availability (two year order backlog) if the shop is reputable - a vehicle on which you generate income has to be very reliable.

Why do this? Gas prices?

· Registered
8,499 Posts
Looking for a professional conversion shop in Vancouver lower mainland, fraser valley. Not a fancy car situation, but a work van.
If you are interested in a discussion of whether you should do a conversion at all - which is not what you asked - then more information about your needs would be helpful.

If you would be interested in just buying a commercial van, an obvious choice would be the Ford E-Transit... but availability would be an issue with make or model. CanEV sells complete vehicles, as well as conversion products, in case you are interested.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A work van?

You don't seem to realize that having a shop convert a vehicle will likely cost you more than a brand new F150 Lightning, and will probably have similar availability (two year order backlog) if the shop is reputable - a vehicle on which you generate income has to be very reliable.

Why do this? Gas prices?
Yes.. really wasn't sure on costs at this point, so I appreciate the feedback.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are interested in a discussion of whether you should do a conversion at all - which is not what you asked - then more information about your needs would be helpful.

If you would be interested in just buying a commercial van, an obvious choice would be the Ford E-Transit... but availability would be an issue with make or model. CanEV sells complete vehicles, as well as conversion products, in case you are interested.
Thank you

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CanEV has been in the business of supplying conversion components, doing conversions, and selling EVs for industrial use for many years. They're on Vancouver Island, but they might be supplying a conversion shop that they could refer you to in the lower mainland - you could ask them.

This is not a recommendation for CanEV - I've never dealt with them - but just an idea for an information source.
Awesome... as per others, it might not be worth it, but worth the ask.

· Registered
5,324 Posts
At $0.33 a mile (15mpg, $5/gallon), your conversion would likely break even with just burning gas at 200,000 miles, since the value of the van when done will likely not increase, unless it's a classic (even there, lots of classic car enthusiasts are horrrified at EV conversions)...gas prices are usually a bad reason to do a conversion, but they are an irrational yet convenient excuse we all use to pretend to justify the crazy spend of time and money, which is why buying new as an EV makes sense.

Either drive it, or trade it in for an eTransit which will likely hold more value and that you can probably depreciate on your taxes - I saw a new one last week while I was grabbing electrons at a public charger for a trip. We also had a couple of Rivian R1T and an R1S at another public charger up near Olympia. I've also had Lightnings share the site on prior trips.

· Administrator
1,760 Posts
A lot of miles get put on, so looking for options with gas prices being what they are.
'You won't save money converting a car. That's a pretty much universal truth. And I say this as someone converting a car from mostly garbage for free.

The best case scenario for you is if you regularly and reliably commute the same predictable amount every day, and can size a battery pack accordingly.

You'd need to be burning enough gas to justify the savings (long distance) but short enough distance to make the conversion possible in terms of battery size and bulk (so, not that long distance).

Work vehicles are your source of income, you need to be where you need to be, or you'll lose a job or lose efficiency.

We should just kinda adopt a policy here of asking people "And how much were you imaging you'd spend on this?" as the very first question, before we answer questions about the rest of their build. Maybe followed up with "How much range do you want?"

That would eliminated 19/20 advice threads in 3 posts.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'You won't save money converting a car. That's a pretty much universal truth. And I say this as someone converting a car from mostly garbage for free.

The best case scenario for you is if you regularly and reliably commute the same predictable amount every day, and can size a battery pack accordingly.

You'd need to be burning enough gas to justify the savings (long distance) but short enough distance to make the conversion possible in terms of battery size and bulk (so, not that long distance).

Work vehicles are your source of income, you need to be where you need to be, or you'll lose a job or lose efficiency.

We should just kinda adopt a policy here of asking people "And how much were you imaging you'd spend on this?" as the very first question, before we answer questions about the rest of their build. Maybe followed up with "How much range do you want?"

That would eliminated 19/20 advice threads in 3 posts.
Thanks for the info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts