DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking for a more convenient way to monitor my EV. I have an original Orion BMS and I'm currently using an old giant windows laptop and the usb Candapter to run the Orion software. Are there any equivalent Torque apps for IOS? All other devices I have are Apple so I'm assuming I'd have to find an android device to run Torque. I'd also like to get a bluetooth OBD2 adapter so I don't have to plug it in. I'm not planning on leaving the device in the car unless that can be done without ruining it from high temps, maybe in the glove box?

Anybody using a phone/tablet/ other device with the Torque app have some advice?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
There's one for iOS called "Rev" that allows custom PID's.

You could also use Bluestacks on the windows machine if it's not super old, and run Android apps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks frodus,
I don’t think the Rev app is available anymore, or at least I can’t find it.

I’m looking to find an alternative to the windows machine. Not only is it huge but it needs to be plugged in to power up and it needs a mouse because of a broken mouse pad. It’s pretty comical trying to use a computer mouse at stop lights.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Honestly, by the time you spend time looking for an alternative, you could craigslist an android tablet.

Hell, if you want I'll ship you (you pay shipping) a tablet that I don't use anymore. It's a Samsung Tab 2 7.0. Not a powerhouse, but it works and has a good ROM on it. Runs torque. Just private message me. It's not in use.

Then you should get an STN based bluetooth adapter (or a REAL ELM adapter) and you're good to go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, by the time you spend time looking for an alternative, you could craigslist an android tablet.

Hell, if you want I'll ship you (you pay shipping) a tablet that I don't use anymore. It's a Samsung Tab 2 7.0. Not a powerhouse, but it works and has a good ROM on it. Runs torque. Just private message me. It's not in use.

Then you should get an STN based bluetooth adapter (or a REAL ELM adapter) and you're good to go.
The tablet arrived, Thank You!

I got the Orion BMS data to show up, now I just need to figure out how to get the HPEVS data for the motor and controller to show up, and make a mount for it

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
You're welcome! Glad it's workin for you. I loaded a fresh new ROM for it, so it should run well. It's older, so not a performance tablet, but free is a good price eh?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're welcome! Glad it's workin for you. I loaded a fresh new ROM for it, so it should run well. It's older, so not a performance tablet, but free is a good price eh?
Awesome! Haha the best price! It’s a perfect size to fit on the dash or in front of the radio.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what it's worth, I've been using OBD Fusion for iOS and it has been great. I'm using several custom PIDs from the Leaf motor. I've got it running on an old iPod Touch that was less than $100. Last video here show's it in action:

http://instagr.am/p/CCfGiEoH2XV/
Thanks. That’s a beautiful conversion! Is it getting the data from a BMS? The only iOS app the Orion BMS lists his Enginelink.

What are you using to mount and video under the car? I have a need to do this to troubleshoot a vibration at 40 mph.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just grabbed a GoPro off eBay...I think it's a HERO 5+ or some such. it was about $100, and came with a bunch of tripods and flexible mounts...I clipped it upside-down to the subframe, and strapped the head of it with velcro.

I'm afraid it's not getting data from the BMS—my apologies!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just grabbed a GoPro off eBay...I think it's a HERO 5+ or some such. it was about $100, and came with a bunch of tripods and flexible mounts...I clipped it upside-down to the subframe, and strapped the head of it with velcro.
Great idea, thanks. I may use that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts