DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a bit of a puzzling situation I would like some advice on.

I have been running a warp 9 and zilla 1klv for about 3 years/15k miles.

I replaced the original set of brushes about 4 months ago with a set of National T300's and I seated them for a total of roughly 1.5hrs at 12v
(edit: I measured resistance after blowing out the carbon as described in the Netgain manual and I was happy, I don't think this is a ground issue)

Logged about 400 miles since they were installed.

Last time I used the truck I had a situation were I lost power and steadily could only push about 15kw, then 10, then 5 and all the way down to crawling not able to increase power above 1kw. A quick key reset fixed the issue and then it happend twice more (panicking and calling for a ride on my morning commute :()

I checked the zilla for codes and nothing was set, only "1111" No Error/Unknown state codes.

I checked the brushes and they are seated nicely and very smooth.

I have not been able to reproduce the situation but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar and has insight ?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think its battery related, no LBV alarm went off and I don't have throttle reduction set up from the BMS. The pack voltage was right where I expected it to be (148-152v) during that part of my journey, under load and resting.
:(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I reproduced the situation tonight, I drove about 7 miles and I suddenly couldn't maintain 45mph and had to crawl into a neighborhood and drive home under 20mph. Pushing a max of 5kw. Then had to do a run up my driveway after I "stalled" at the top not even able to push 1.5kw in 2nd. (lol maybe should have tried 1st :/ )

I'm starting to think its either temperature related, or triggered by high amp draw. Possibly even a pot box fault.

Any other suggestions ?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Pot box is easy enough to check... could the zilla be overheating then cutting back? I would assume that would throw a code though.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol. I can't believe I was this silly.

I had been having trouble with the coolant pump and it finally quit on me, it was fairly quiet so I never noticed it wasn't actually pumping until I started to hunt around for stuff this morning. So I'm pretty sure it was thermal cutback, it saved me. lol.

Thanks for your help all the same Frank.

I feel pretty stupid.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'm starting to think its either temperature related,
I was going to mention my concurrence on this yesterday, but figured I know nothing about the Zillas.

Glad you found the issue and that it was simple overheating.

Also, thanks for saying what the problem is. There's lots of ghosted threads that no one comes back to when they eventually figure out what the issue was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts